New duck owner HELP

NewDuckMama23

In the Brooder
May 31, 2023
Hello I’m trying to figure out what to feed my 2 baby ducklings I haven’t got them yet but I got a duck a gosling starter a was wondering if I needed anything to add to it? I also got a probiotic + coop kelp as well and for a grower I’m going to get (after two weeks) the kalmbach duck feed pallets also going to get oats is this correct to do? Then switch to layer after 18 weeks and how much oats do I mix with food?

Hello I’m trying to figure out what to feed my 2 baby ducklings I haven’t got them yet but I got a duck a gosling starter a was wondering if I needed anything to add to it? I also got a probiotic + coop kelp as well and for a grower I’m going to get (after two weeks) the kalmbach duck feed pallets also going to get oats is this correct to do? Then switch to layer after 18 weeks and how much oats do I mix with food?
Welcome! I just fed a duck-friendly starter and switched to all flock + oyster shells for all my chickens and ducks once they were at POL. That was closer to six months though for my WH ducks. I never have fed oats, except as a treat. The main thing is using a feed that has enough niacin, which if you have a duck / goose starter, I'm sure it's formulated appropriately. Sounds great!

I don't think it is necessary to add oats to a well-balanced feed that is formulated for goslings and ducklings you'll just be bringing down the nutrients that they need in their feed.

What type of ducklings are you getting? Have you considered 3 instead of 2? Only mentioning that because there are so many things that can happen and you don't want to end up with a single duck. Just make sure your duckling food has the proper amount of niacin to keep their legs strong. You can add nutritional or brewer's yeast on top of their feed to make sure they are good, especially if they're a heavy-weight duck.

I don't think it is necessary to add oats to a well-balanced feed that is formulated for goslings and ducklings you'll just be bringing down the nutrients that they need in their feed.
Since I am using a duck feed now I’m using the Kalmback duck food would I need to add anything to it?

What type of ducklings are you getting? Have you considered 3 instead of 2? Only mentioning that because there are so many things that can happen and you don't want to end up with a single duck. Just make sure your duckling food has the proper amount of niacin to keep their legs strong. You can add nutritional or brewer's yeast on top of their feed to make sure they are good, especially if they're a heavy-weight duck.
I got Pekins and I did get 3 but turns out ones a boy 😭😭

Would I need to add anything to it? I’m using the Kalmback duck feed now since they are older, I was adding the oats to balance out the protein

I think since you have pekins it's a good idea to still add nutritional yeast. Pekins just need extra. How old are they now? I'm sorry one turned out to be a boy, but maybe it will be alright with the three of them. Just keep a close eye on the situation for overmating.

Ok I do add a little bit since the duck food has a good amount and they are 3 weeks old now & me too I just want to make sure everyone’s good an on one is getting over mated 😂

Back
Top Bottom