New duck owner questions!

ktduck

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 10, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Hi all,
I have recently got two khaki campbell
Ducklings and I have fallen in love. I do keep worrying about a few things though.
The first is that at night time we put them in their little house and put a blanket over it. It actually has a little door with slats and they try and jump out of it, this is why we put a barrier up and a blanket. Is it okay to put a blanket over them? They settle after about ten minutes.
The other is that one of our ducklings, Jennie, keeps nipping at us. On our faces and necks, she is also quite shy and doesn't like being held very much unless u really relax her. The other duckling Francis is the complete opposite, very calm and loves being held. Is this just a personality trait thing?
Thanks for this great website, I've already found lots of answers to my questions! Also ducklings are 6 days old.
Katie

Do you have a heat lamp for them as well? I'd be a little bit wary of blankets on such small ducklings due to the suffocation factor.

The nibbling is quite common in young ducks. All of my ducks eventually grew out of that phase.

It does sound like it's just a personality difference. Have you tried giving Jennie treats while you're holding her?

Thanks for your reply :)
We don't have a heat lamp as we live in queensland, australian and it's very warm here.
What sort of treats could I offer her? We might stop putting the blanket over the pen then? There house is wooden and it has a window etc but I was worried about ventilation.

Not sure about the blanket question. Ducklings at age 2weeks old should require brooder temps of 85'F (29.4'C), and then lose by 5'F every week thereafter. Do you have a thermometer? @Kevin565 is exactly correct on the behavior topic.

Back
Top Bottom