New Duck Owner

Can I give them durvet Vitamins and Electrolytes for poultry?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Depends

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Duckylover420

In the Brooder
Sep 3, 2020
Hello!
I am a new inexperienced duck owner. I need helping, on what to feed them and water them. I have done my research but I got a lot of different responses. They stay inside a lot, and I don’t know if i should take them outside. Please help.

what’s the weather like? if it’s warm they could have supervised outdoor time! if it’s too cold for kiddie pool time, they can swim in a bathtub!

i recommend starting them on duckling starter/grower and supplement niacin.

Hello, and welcome!!! Ducks are fun aren't they?? Lol, im new myself, and have learned a ton from the awesome people here and infonoffered on the site. A few questions to start outHow old are your ducks?? What is your current setup with them?? Can u post pics?? What are you currently feeding them, what is your water setup??
Here is a very good link about niacin, very important for proper growth
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

Hello, and welcome!!! Ducks are fun aren't they?? Lol, im new myself, and have learned a ton from the awesome people here and infonoffered on the site. A few questions to start outHow old are your ducks?? What is your current setup with them?? Can u post pics?? What are you currently feeding them, what is your water setup??
Here is a very good link about niacin, very important for proper growth
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

I do not know the age of the ducks, we got them from a second hand. We have them in a cage, with pine shaving bedding, water, food, and a heating lamp. I can’t post pictures right now, but later I can. We have the water in a dish, with access to it. I also make sure they go swimming at least once a day. I am feeding them Purina flock raiser with 20% protein. Thank for the link I will look at it.

what’s the weather like? if it’s warm they could have supervised outdoor time! if it’s too cold for kiddie pool time, they can swim in a bathtub!

i recommend starting them on duckling starter/grower and supplement niacin.
The weather has been rainy lately, they just went swimming in the tub today. Okay I have also heard that from someone else

The duck sticky index has lots of great info, make sure to scroll through it some time.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ducks-sticky-topics-index.256233/

As far as your question, that is almost solely dependent on their age, and the weather outside. If you're unsure of their age, post a few pictures and we'll come up with a rough estimate. What are the highs and lows in your area currently averaging?

Here they are

Attachments

• BFB1DFBB-4D3D-4B8C-8214-B3F4DA2B6B2F.jpeg
    BFB1DFBB-4D3D-4B8C-8214-B3F4DA2B6B2F.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 2
Very cute. No more than a week old if that much. Young enough to get chilled easily. They can go out if its warm and they are supervised. Make sure bath time doesn't last too long. They will get more cold tolerant in about two to three weeks. What your feeding is fine as long as its crumbles and not pellets. You will need to get them a water dish deep enough to sum merge their bills. They need to be able to clean their nares (nostrils). Make sure they have room to get under the heat and also to get away from it if they get too hot. You want to provide chick grit if they get any treats.

Everyone has done a great job of answering your questions so far, but I wanted to add in on your poll regarding electrolytes. I always give any duck that arrives an electrolytes/vitamin mix upon arrival or if it's been hot out I will normally give them an extra dish of water with electrolytes. You have to ensure that they have another clean electrolyte free water source available at all times. Some brands can only be used for a day or two while others I've seen are supposed to be give for two weeks so make sure to carefully read and follow the directions. For ducklings I only ever give electrolytes for a day or two. When it comes to ducks and electrolytes always remember that too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.

Back
Top Bottom