New duck owners! Wooohooo!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nachoqtpie, Apr 9, 2012.

1. nachoqtpie

nachoqtpie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Jacksonville, NC
    So, the end of March,my husband, kids, and myself go to TSC to get some dog food and compost for the garden. Apparently that was the biggest mistake of all... lol

My daughter fell in love with the little Rouen ducklings they had in the store. She actually started crying in the middle of the store because I told her she couldn't have one.... and of course... Dad to the rescue! "Of course you can have a couple ducks baby!" :/

Well, I grew attached to the like peeping darlings (that the kids named Phineas and Ferb) and decided one day a few days after we brought them home that they were lonely and needed friends, so went and bought 2 more. Of course, the didn't have Rouens any more, but they did have Pekin, so we now have 2 Pekin ducks named Candace and Stacy.

We are enjoying them very much! The kids like to put them in the bathtub to swim and toss them peas. They find it absolutely hilarious when they stand on one leg and swim with the other. I think its hilarious to tell the kids we already have Christmas dinner... :lol: of course I could never REALLY eat them... these 4 are pets! They should be thankful my daughter has daddy wrapped around her finger.

I can't believe how FAST they are growing tho. So cute.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Aww they sound adorable! Ducks are a great joy to add to anyone's flock.

3. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Uh, where are the pictures???

Ducks are so much fun, enjoy!

4. cskotek

cskotek Chillin' With My Peeps

My dad was like that too, thats why i have the ducks i have today lol.
    i missed the rouens at TSC :/ but i did get the pekins and completely agree with the -they grow really fast-.

5. Karen09

Karen09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2009
    Wyoming, New York
    Careful, they are additive! Once you start loving them, playing with them and watching them grow, you may end up getting more and more... I started out with 6 mallard ducklings 2 years ago and now I have an adult trio of Cayuga ducks, 27 of their eggs in the incubator to hatch in 2 weeks, 15 mallard ducklings and 14 cayuga ducklings. I also have 6 more cayuga female ducklings coming at the end of the month to replace my 2 females for breeding along with 4 african goslings. (and that is not including the 19 adult chickens and 24 month old chicks. Hmm, so yes be very careful of their cuteness and yes they do grow quickly!

6. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Congrats on your new babies! Pics!?!

7. nachoqtpie

nachoqtpie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Jacksonville, NC
    Haha!! Sorry guys! I posted that from my phone, so I couldn't post any pictures. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're still a little freaking out if we pick them up and PEEP! PEEP! PEEP! but they are getting better. We've had the 2 Rouens since 31 March, and we got the 2 Pekins on 05April.

I try to go in 3-4 times a day and pick each of them up and hold them for a while and talk to them, tell them they're good ducks, and remind them how lucky they are they won't get an all expenses paid trip to freezer camp. At this, usually Candace starts trying to bite my hand. [​IMG] My kiddos are infatuated with them. I tried REALLY hard not to fall in love because I wanted it to be grumpy about it because I told lil miss no. Yeah.. that didn't stay that way long. [​IMG]

8. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Very very cute! I have a mallard/rouen. won't be sure until s/he is grown which s/he is. Mine looked a lot like yours, with the broken second stripe. Got her at TSC too, so who knows. They are awesome pets, right? Do you have plans for an outside house and run?

9. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi

Very very cute. I also bought some ducklings from TSC we have 8 in all. Your's "rouens" looks like Mallards they only have 1 stripe on their face, Rouens have 2 defined stripes not one stripe ans a smudge. We thought maybe we had gotten Rouens from TSC also but in fact they are 7 Mallards and they have the same one stripe with a smudge in the bottom. Then we have 1 pekin.

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    We got two ducklings from TSC two weeks ago. One turned out to be a Black Runner, the other is a Rouen. Hoping to get a couple more ducklings ths Friday...... ; )

Yep, gotta be careful! Started out with a pair of White Calls, 1 Magpie drake, and now I have 2 more ducklings, and 23 eggs in the incubator....and I'm still thinking about more ducklings!

~ Aspen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by