New Duck parent with a few questions

Cassie Collins

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 12, 2014
Texas
I have 3 4 wk old ducklings. 1 Pekin Female; Kevin (from the movie Up), 1 Khaki Campbell Female; Rigby (from a cartoon), 1 unknown sex Magpie; Mack. I have had them for almost 1 mth . If u all wouldnt mind, I have a few questions. Why do my ducks sometimes sound like ducks & at the times they sound like Turkeys? My Magpie has developed what looks like 3 feathers growing n the same place. It looks like a mass is forming @ the base . Does any1 know if this will resolve itself or will the Vet need to be called? Thanks for any help !

I have 3 4 wk old ducklings. 1 Pekin Female; Kevin (from the movie Up), 1 Khaki Campbell Female; Rigby (from a cartoon), 1 unknown sex Magpie; Mack. I have had them for almost 1 mth . If u all wouldnt mind, I have a few questions. Why do my ducks sometimes sound like ducks & at the times they sound like Turkeys? My Magpie has developed what looks like 3 feathers growing n the same place. It looks like a mass is forming @ the base . Does any1 know if this will resolve itself or will the Vet need to be called? Thanks for any help !

Hello and
welcome-byc.gif
At 4 weeks old ducklings are just coming into their voices. You could be hearing the difference between girls who quack and boys who rasp:) Please post of picture if you can of the feathers you are describing.

Your description sounds like you are noticing the uropygial gland at the base of the tail.

Clint

Hello and :welcome   At 4 weeks old ducklings are just coming into their voices.  You could be hearing the difference between girls who quack and boys who rasp:)  Please post of picture if you can of the feathers you are describing.

Sorry it is really hard to see. It's better when he is wet. It looks like 3 feathers have fused together & it is forming a little mass at the base. It is moveable, not fixed & doesn't seem to cause pain.

Sorry it is really hard to see. It's better when he is wet. It looks like 3 feathers have fused together & it is forming a little mass at the base. It is moveable, not fixed & doesn't seem to cause pain.

He is very pretty. Maybe someone who has seen this in their ducks will reply but I wouldn't worry since he is so young, loosing down and developing feathers.

Thank you Ren :). I also have a Pekin. I love my duckies & this doesn't look normal, so I hope someone may have seen this before & will also respond.

Thank you Ren
smile.png
. I also have a Pekin. I love my duckies & this doesn't look normal, so I hope someone may have seen this before & will also respond.
It definitely doesn't sound normal but not to be too alarmed over:) Wish I could be more help. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom