New Duck person

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by EAWCinci, Mar 14, 2015.

1. EAWCinci

EAWCinci Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2015
    Loveland, Ohio
    [​IMG]

Hi! These are my female mallard ducks... Quackers and Lucky. They are about 1 year old. My son got them when they were babies and we raised them. On Christmas day Quackers laid her first egg!! They try to hatch their eggs, but of course they won't hatch... there's no male.

This is their cage for night time and when we're away:

[​IMG]

During the winter we filled their pool and the floor of the cage with straw, and put tarps around 3 sides of the cage. We used a heat lamp to keep them warm during the freezing temperatures we get in Ohio.

I worry about them so much. They are pets.... and if they fly away, I don't think they could survive. I don't clip their wings because when they're out of the cage, they would need to get away from predators (my dog, my cats, hawks, racoons, etc). One night last fall they flew out of our yard and I thought they were gone. Worried me so, but they returned the next morning.

I've thought about trying to find them a different home... one where there are other ducks and maybe they can learn to protect themselves and fly south during the winter. I'm afraid to post an add on Craigslist or a place like that, because I don't know who might respond and maybe eat them or something. Maybe someone here can give me advise? Is there a thread for selling ducks?

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Cute ducks! Definitely check out the links provided by Yorkshire Coop.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry you have to rehome them, you have such a lovely area to protect them in. My only suggestion for now would be to somewhere fill in the area just above the top of the gate. There is enough room for a predator to climb through. Hope you can find a good place for them.

6. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Hey there! Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you decided to join! Let us know if you have any questions, we will be glad to help you if we can. [​IMG] There is a lot of great info on here, and lots of very knowledgeable people, so I'm sure you'll be able to find any info you may be looking for. [​IMG] You have some lovely duckys there! I hope everything works out with them.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our BYC "flock".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by