New duckling drooling - something wrong or eating/drinking too fast?

Crazy Birds

Chirping
Mar 22, 2022
I just picked two ducklings and two chicks up this afternoon from TSC. It was only supposed to be two chicks as friends for my roommates chick - long story - but they wouldn't let me leave with two birds; limit of four I guess. Anyway, wasn't expecting to get ducklings till May. I did get them on my lunch break, but was called back into work on emergency before I had a chance to drop them at home. Everyone was fine, I bought a heat lamp because we needed a new one and they had food and water all day, etc. While watching them, I noticed one of the ducklings had kind of squinty eyes and would drool after drinking water. It's eating and drinking fine, and while it's not as active as the other one, it's pretty active compared to a lethargic duckling. Both ducklings are getting bowlegged and having problems standing - my local TSC gives ALL baby birds non-medicated chick food. I have started them with duck food (pellets crushed into crumbles) and they have nutritional yeast. When I felt the little one's crop, it was very full but it drooled afterwards. Is this because the little one is drinking too fast or is there a problem that needs to be addressed? Thanks in advance!

Forgot to add : It's only every after drinking when it shakes it's head, and so far it hasn't been a ton.

Back
Top Bottom