New duckling owner.. can I add to the duckling flock?

JulieBeth07

Songster
Apr 20, 2020
Fort Pierce, FL
I have two 3 week old ducklings. They aren't sexed. I believe 1 of them is a drake.

They're currently in the same brooder with our 16 chicks. I was thinking of brooding them separately but they seem to be happy in there with them. I have read that they love a flock. I am one who got ducklings without very much research.

So...

We want to add more ducklings, thinking 4 more. We were going to order them online and sexed. Should we wait until the ducklings have gotten out of the brooder and are in their outside home? Or should we go ahead and do it now? Could I just move the older ducklings into the brooder with the new ducklings with them being so close in age?

Thanks in advance for your help and knowledge!

klings, thinking 4 more. We were going to order them online and sexed. Should we wait until the ducklings have gotten out of the brooder and are in their outside home? Or should we go ahead and do it now? Could I just move the older ducklings into the brooder with the new ducklings with them being so close in age?

Welcome to BYC! :frow

You are right, ducks are very social animals, but keeping them with chicks is just not advised since ducks often create a wet messy environment in their brooder which can cause a whole load of problems for young chicks, one common one being Coccidiosis, If you don't have time or space to build another brooder, I suggest you split their current brooder in half with wire/cardboard ect. so they can't touch each other.

Since your ducklings are fairly old, It'd be pretty hard to integrate birds that are much younger than them, most likely you would have to use the no-touch but see method that I mentioned above, probably for a few weeks so they could get used to each other, then you could let them out with each other for short bits and see how they get along.

It may be easier to wait till they are older, then integrate new birds. Your choice, we'd love to see some pictures of your little gang!

Welcome to BYC! :frow

You are right, ducks are very social animals, but keeping them with chicks is just not advised since ducks often create a wet messy environment in their brooder which can cause a whole load of problems for young chicks, one common one being Coccidiosis, If you don't have time or space to build another brooder, I suggest you split their current brooder in half with wire/cardboard ect. so they can't touch each other.

Since your ducklings are fairly old, It'd be pretty hard to integrate birds that are much younger than them, most likely you would have to use the no-touch but see method that I mentioned above, probably for a few weeks so they could get used to each other, then you could let them out with each other for short bits and see how they get along.

It may be easier to wait till they are older, then integrate new birds. Your choice, we'd love to see some pictures of your little gang!
Thanks for the input!! Yes! They are a mess! I'm going through bedding like crazy! I already have 2 brooders set up actually ... so I'm going to move them now!

Well.. I've moved them and the ducklings were not very happy with me 😬 but they seem to be adjusting...
I will be getting a new waterer/feeders.. will the ducks need a top too?

Attachments

• 20200421_153303.jpg
    20200421_153303.jpg
    552.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200421_155723.jpg
    20200421_155723.jpg
    526.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200421_155815.jpg
    20200421_155815.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom