New Ducklings: Help with identifying breed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FortCluck, Sep 9, 2019.

1. FortCluck

FortCluck Songster

Sep 9, 2019
    yesterday we went to a chicken swap and didn't see anything that caught our eye so we decided to go inside tractor supply... The manager offered us ducklings for only a $1 a piece or $.50 if we took them all. We unfortunately did not take them all, I wish we would have but we ended up with 3 ducklings.

They could not tell us the breed and I'm wondering if someone who is more experienced with ducklings and breeds could help us out.

One of the ducklings definitely has niacin deficiency, which we are taking care of. She looks and walks way better than she did yesterday.

Thanks in advance for helping :)

Attached Files:

2. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    If they are all the same age, i bet on the larger one to be a Pekin and the two smaller ones to be Fawn & White Indian Runners.
    If they are not all the same age, they could be Pekin, White Layer, Fawn & White Runners or any other breed with yellow ducklings.
    Beautiful babies anyway! :love

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    BeanBoy, DiYMama540, sourland and 4 others like this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

White layers...

WannaBeHillBilly and FortCluck like this.
  4. FortCluck

FortCluck Songster

Sep 9, 2019
    I think they're all the same age from what they said. They were unsure on every question we asked...

The bigger one has bad legs, they're bent and it's feet turn inward, so we are giving it niacin to hopefully correct it. I'm not sure the food they use, but this duckling hasn't had an easy life.

5. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    Not sure, i'd need to see their bills in more detail.
    If the large duckling has already developed leg problems, i would give it additional Calcium for a while, like Calcium-Glucconate.

DiYMama540 and FortCluck like this.
  6. FortCluck

FortCluck Songster

Sep 9, 2019
    Ok I will do that today. Thank you for your help

7. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Well I definitely won't reply because I'm generally not taken seriously so I'm just going to follow..:frow

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Wrangler

Best thing for your little one is Liquid BComplex once they have leg issues it works faster and better. 1 ml daily over something tasty.

9. FortCluck

FortCluck Songster

Sep 9, 2019
    Any info that you can provide would be welcome... we are brand new to ducks, but we've been researching for a while.

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  10. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    I'd go with the B-complex if I were you! That is like a miracle drug for ducks with leg problems! :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: