New ducklings

Kharden10110

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2018
I purchased 4 duckings from tsc a week ago tomorrow. I have them in a brooder and on chicken starter feed that is non medicated. Is there anything else i should be doing? Also looking for ideas for enclosures I'm thinking of a dog run and adding some hardware cloth along the sides up to about three feet. I live in Florida so cold weather really isnt an issue I plan on attaching a 10 ft by 4 ft house on it as well. We do have a lot of hawks and owls in our neighborhood as well as the occasional possum and racoons these will be our pets so i just want to keep them safe from predators. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated

Dog kennels work great just be sure to put up the hard ware wire like you mentioned. Having a secure house for them for night time and I would secure a top onto your kennel whether it be an actual roof or some type of netting but make sure it is secure because predators will climb over and in.

Since your using chick starter you need to add some niacin to their feed for the first 10 weeks Nutritional yeast is a good one just sprinkle 1 Tab over each cup of feed you give them. Niacin is very important for water fowl it makes strong legs and healthy brains too.

:welcome and how about some pics of your new little ones.

This is our babies the day we got them they are a little bigger now. Can I get the niacin stuff at wal mart?

Attachments

• 20180824_153746.jpg
    20180824_153746.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 6
Also i would like to let them free roam our yard and not kee them in there enclosure all day but we have a pool in our backyard and my hubby does not want them swimming in it or making a mess on the pool deck any ideas for keeping them away from the pool without putting in a fence

Brewers yeast or nutritional yeast can often be found at your grocery store, so if your Walmart is one with a full grocery department they may have it there.

This is the one that my grocery store carries.

c25c14fa627f433cd6a897d50c4acb98_300x300.png

Sometimes it helps to have a picture of what you are looking for.

I'm not sure about keeping them out of your pool, but your husband is correct in thinking that they will make a mess of it if they can get in.

Brewers yeast or nutritional yeast can often be found at your grocery store, so if your Walmart is one with a full grocery department they may have it there.

This is the one that my grocery store carries.

c25c14fa627f433cd6a897d50c4acb98_300x300.png

Sometimes it helps to have a picture of what you are looking for.

I'm not sure about keeping them out of your pool, but your husband is correct in thinking that they will make a mess of it if they can get in.

Thank you yes a picture most definitely helps and I know they will definitely make a mess of our pool they make a huge mess of there brooder already I clean it every morning and within 15 minutes of me cleaning it its a mess again

Back
Top Bottom