New ducklings

Dylly

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 11, 2014
Queensland, Australia
Hi everyone!
Today my beautiful Indian runner hatch 2 of her many eggs. I am so excited! I squealed with delight that the end of a 29day weight has been well worth it. Even if only the 2 ducklings is all that hatches, I am stoked. I do have some questions I would appreciate anyone's answers too. Luckily I read a few other threads before hand and have an okay idea of what I am dealing with but I still have a few questions. Here they are:
1. Will my duck know when the rest of her eggs are not going to hatch? How long should I give her on the nest before removing the eggs? Should I remove the eggs at any stage?
2. My drake is a very placid boy, the hen has always been the dominant one of the pair. My question here is do I have to worry about my drake interfering with the hen or ducklings?
3. When should I put food and water in the nest area for the hen and ducklings? I was think about doing it as soon as tomorrow which is the day after the first ducklings hatched.
4. Should I try and get mum duck and ducklings into a cage for protection?
That is all of the questions I have so far. To this point mum seems to be proving to be a great mum ie. the ducklings don't come out from under her and if I or any chickens, etc. go near her and the babies she gets cranky. Any and all advice welcome.
Thanks in advance x

I have no experience in this area but I'll give it a shot.

1. I assume she'd know. Typically ducks are better at hatching than incubators so I'd think they're just late and more are coming. If it were me, I'd check on the eggs as if I were incubating to make sure there aren't any problems (probably unnecessary) to help with and remove eggs after 48 hours of no of them hatching and/or no signs of hatching.

2. You might have to worry. Maybe not. Keep a close eye on them for sure.

3. I'm not sure if you're suppose to bring food&water to nest or if mom takes them to get it. There first 24 hours they don't need either. I'm sure they're still ok on day two for some time. I'd add stuff 36?hours after first hatch if they're not going to get it themselves.

4. No unless you see a reason why they need one.

I'd be concerned about the drake and chickens, sometime mamas walk off and ducklings don't always follow close which leaves them open to attack and chickens can and will. Drakes can injure and kill ducklings too. I just feel better putting mom and ducklings out of reach of everyone but where they can all see each other,Put food and water out after 24 hrs. like Mrs. H says.

Welcome to BYC. pics when you can.
smile.png

My babies just a day old. They are already enjoying water and mum must have done her job right and oiled the babies because the water beads off them. I have been keeping a good eye on the drake and he seems to be okay with the ducklings. He doesn't go too close to them and is happy to look from a distance. As for my chooks, well their pens are large enough that they can be kept locked away for a few days or a week to give the ducklings time to grow and find their feet.

Mum abandoned the rest of her eggs and nest. The rotten eggs were popping in the heat so I don't blame her :(. The 2 babies and mum are now in the safety of their own 1m x 2m private retreat (cage). Daddy duck can visit and see his family through the fencing but mummy and babies are safe from my chooks and large prey birds. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom