New ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HeatherMarieR, Feb 28, 2015.

1. HeatherMarieR

HeatherMarieR Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    Somerville, AL
    I have 6 ducklings at the moment that I fully intend on keeping outdoors because I don't think I could handle the responsibility of a house duck, but I was wondering if I'd be able to put a diaper on them and bring them inside every once in a while, or would they have to stay outdoors full time once they're outside ducks?

2. farm316

farm316 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Well, If you have day-old ducklings, its pretty common for others including me, to keep your baby's in the house, until they start feathering.. That way you can check them out every once in a while, Plus, lamps are needed for warmth. I have never dealt with a duck diaper, but i don't see why you can't, people buy duck harness so why can't you buy a duck diaper! I will Be back later to give more info

3. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    A house duck is a house duck. An outdoor duck is an outdoor duck. If they haven't been trained since ducklings to tolerate a diaper, it'll be one heck of a battle to put one an adult, let me tell you! There are a few exceptions, some members here have ducks that enjoy being both inside and outside, and will just meander the property as they see fit. But for the most part, once a duck has been raised and grown accustomed to a certain environment, it's actually quite traumatic for them to switch.

I'm a proud house duck owner, and let me tell you, it IS a lot of work! :p Ducks are plenty of responsibility in general, nut house ducks are more like having a kid, hehe. But they're also very, very affectionate. If you spend a lot of time with your ducks, whether indoors or out, they'll be a friend for life. If you're lucky, you may even find one that likes sitting in your lap!

4. HeatherMarieR

HeatherMarieR Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    Somerville, AL
    Yes, I have them inside right now. I was thinking about going ahead and getting them used to diapers now in case I want to bring them in for an hour or two.

5. farm316

farm316 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Yes, that would probably work, You just need to train them to wear a diaper.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by