New Ducky's mom from Ft. Lauderdale!

DuckyAndCo

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 22, 2013
Fort Lauderdale
Hi! I'm a new member and a newbie to all related to ducks. This adventured started like 8 weeks ago when we found a lost baby duck sitting under our carport. We named him Ducky. He looked underfed that we decided to keep him for a while and help him.

The following Saturday my husband and I went to the nearest poultry supplies store to buy a bag of chicken starter (non medicated starter by Manna Pro), this brand was the only available at that store. We also bought a big pet carrier and a big pet chainlink cage that we would use as a duck coop house for him to use later. The coop is not completely predator proof right now so we prefer to keep him in the petcarrier at night with water and food available.

We daily go together for long walks in the backyard. He also has a playpen so he can stay there outside while I do chores around the house. It seems I became his mom for him. He loves to play in the kiddie pool and we are planning to buy a bigger one tomorrow where he has more space to dive in as he loves to show up what a great swimmer he is. So far despite our concerns if we are doing the right thing, he seems to be a happy duck, always playing and "singing" and doing funny things...Of course eating and pooping a lot which I think is a very good sign!
roll.png

When it gets dark he demands to get inside the house and he walks up to his petcarrier to go to sleep and gives no problem at all which surprises us because he is a calm duck when he is inside his house . We have a cat and so far they are learning to deal with each other. At the beginning I was worried that the cat would hurt Ducky but it turned out to be the opposite way. Our cat may get hurt ... Ducky bosses Rusty around which is kinda funny to watch. Ducky is showing his territory to the cat.

I have a few questions:

1) Any suggestion of a good food brand for ducks (he is around 9 weeks old already).
2) Does he has to stop eating chicken starter? Besides the duck food... Should we feed him with other kind of food?
3) Suggestion on duck diaper sellers. I contacted some users through this site that sells diapers but did not get a response back.
4) Should we get another duck at least to keep him company?

Thanks a lot for reading my story and any suggestion/ advise will be appreciated! Sorry the long introduction.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Well, I enjoyed your long introduction. Ducky sounds adorable! x2 Liz's advice, go post in the Ducks section. The members there will be happy to help you. Enjoy the site!

welcome-byc.gif

Glad you took to Ducky and made it yours. I know little about ducks but lucky you! If you look under the tab other backyard poultry there is a section dedicated to Ducks and you will find a host of people who know much more than me!

Welcome from Jacksonville
Caroline

welcome-byc.gif
sounds like he is happy to think of you as his flock. If you intend to keep him like you are doing(In house) I think he can be fine. Maybe as he matures he will want to venture off with wild ducks, I don't know. A lot of people on BYC have house chickens or ducks etc. Some birds really take to the idea and some do not. Your Ducky sounds well adjusted. I wish you would post a video of a Day with Ducky so we could enjoy his antics.

welcome-byc.gif
sounds like he is happy to think of you as his flock. If you intend to keep him like you are doing(In house) I think he can be fine. Maybe as he matures he will want to venture off with wild ducks, I don't know. A lot of people on BYC have house chickens or ducks etc. Some birds really take to the idea and some do not. Your Ducky sounds well adjusted. I wish you would post a video of a Day with Ducky so we could enjoy his antics.

Yes, he seems happy to us. I doubt he thinks he is a duck. I have never had a duck or anything like that in my life, so hubby and I are learning a LOT and Ducky keeps surprising us everyday with his well manners behavior. He is a crazy sweet little guy. I will post a video very soon!

Back
Top Bottom