New dude doin the chicken thing

ScratchnPecker

Hatching
May 19, 2017
What a great site....great info and great people!!! Am new and about a week away from getting a couple pulleys. Live in the Seattle area and will have a 3 to 4 damsels in a castle for eggs and pets ! I've got a 12 x 17 pen area surrounded by a 5 foot chain link fence (picture).

Can I put a coop in this area and let them run this area during the day and be safe ?

Glad to be here and thanks in advance Scratch
IMG_0837.JPG

:welcome

Doesn't Washington have Bears, and Cougars, and lots of hawks? Smaller preds like fox and raccoons can either jump(fox) the fence or climb it (coons). I like to err on the side of caution. A covered run can be a blessing.

:welcome

I agree with the other greeters, a covered run is helpful in preventing predator attacks. You might also consider putting up some hardware cloth around the perimeter to keep out those that dig under (and it could also help prevent something from reaching through the chain link to grab a bird).

Best of luck, hope you enjoy raising chickens!

:welcome glad you have joined us.

That looks like a lovely area for a coop and run.
Predators is the main problem - as the other posts have mentioned.

IMO research the predators you will be dealing with as well as your climate specifics to help you decide on what type of coop and run protection to build. For specific comments you can post your plans under the coop/run forums and predator/pest forums.

Good luck with the new adventure.

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

So glad you could our community! You have received some great advice. Chickens seem to attract all kinds of predators. They draw them in from far and wide. It's not worth the risk not to cover your run area. I let my birds out in an unprotected area but I only let them out when I can supervise and be outside somewhere in the yard to keep an eye out.

Good luck in all your poultry adventures and welcome to our roost! :)

Back
Top Bottom