1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new egg layer? *pic*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chris383, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Chris383

Chris383 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2015
    Hey. I have been getting eggs sporadically from my one hen and they have been fairly consistent colour and really consistent in shape.
    Tonight I found an egg that is smaller, much more oval compared to my previous eggs and is darker and slightly speckled. Could this be one of her eggs or has another pullet started laying? Here is a pic. The 3 on the left are the ones I've been getting for about 2 months. . The one on the right is the one I found in the coop tonight. . Thoughts?
    [​IMG]

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    Usually a pullet even won't change their color but through the season they will get lighter are you sure it isn't 4 separate birds.

3. Chris383

Chris383 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2015
    I'm certain the first 3 are from my Cornish/brahma mix. She's been the only one laying for 2 months. She always lays in the morning around 9 am. This egg must have been laid approx. At 2 pm.

I'm thinking it must be one of the other birds

4. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    Sorry I missed the last part of your text box and yes I would agree if it is quite a bit different then it is probably a different/new layer

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Shape is more telling than color....looks like a new layer to me too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by