New egg layer problems

Goldengirls2020

Chirping
May 5, 2020
Western Washington
3 days ago our sapphire gem layed her first egg in the corner of the coop. Two days later she layed a translucent one while out free ranging. Then this morning we checked the coop and there was shell and egg yolk in the corner like someone ate it. She won't leave the spot now and seems really anxious. She is nesting there in the corner all puffed up. So I have multiple questions. Should I be super concerned that the egg was eaten? How do I get her to go in the nesting box? And can hens go broody this early (she is 20 weeks)?
20200805_091414.jpg

Make sure you have some fake eggs in your nestboxes to lure her there. I would put something in the corner to block her choose site. She will than look elsewhere, hopefully in the boxes. She probably isn't broody already, but is feeling those type of urges to nest. It's not unusual for hens to sit in the nests for long spells.

Make sure you have some fake eggs in your nestboxes to lure her there. I would put something in the corner to block her choose site. She will than look elsewhere, hopefully in the boxes. She probably isn't broody already, but is feeling those type of urges to nest. It's not unusual for hens to sit in the nests for long spells.
Thank you for the response! I blocked off that area of the coop. We do have fake eggs. I also took one of the dividers out of our nesting boxes so she has an option of a bigger or smaller space.

No fake eggs?
We used a ping pong ball and a golf ball 😆 --might you have either of those handy..? I noted my new layer pecked the ball quite a bit, maybe your layer pecked her egg, trying to figure out what had just happened! 😆

Back
Top Bottom