New egg layers??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dixiedoodle, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I have 8 brown egg layers (BR, RIR,BO) that are 31 weeks old.. They waited until they were at least 26weeks old to start to lay.. but now I am getting 6-7 eggs every day from them..Even tho the days are getting shorter! I am not providing extra lighting, their feed and water haven't changed, they get to free range at least two hours every day.. Will they continue to lay like this thru the winter? Or will production drop to nothing? Or Who know?? LOL

I am still waiting on my 31 week old Ameraucanas and my 27week old EE!!!

2. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    I suppose it depends on where you are, the weather, how much light they get in the coop, etc.

My RIR, sex-links, and BO slow down a bit in the winter, but they're generally still quite productive.

3. australorp_breeder

australorp_breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    My Jersey Giants and Australorps have died down slightly on their egg production. Chickens need at least 12 hours of light per day to lay eggs. If your girls are still laying a lot of eggs, then either winter weather hasn't effected them yet, or you have enough daylight for them over there. My Buff Orpingtons just started laying about half a month ago, and they've been laying an egg almost every day. Maybe the lack of light doesn't seem to effect new egg layers?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by