new egg!!!

lillie2

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 24, 2008
newcastle under lyme. England.
Hi
Just wondered if someone could help -- we have four eggs under our broody chicken last night and checked they were there this afternoon but now there are only three under her. I don't want to look too much as she gets quite distressed and growls at us if we get too close. As far as i can tell nothing has been in the chicken house as she has been on them all day ... its just a mystery to us .. I know it sounds daft but could she have eaten or discarded it as it was a different colour from the others that were under her ?

She could have sensed something was wrong with it and rolled it out of her nest. They will do that.

If there is other chickens that can get to her eggs they may have eaten it. Not to scare you or anything but a snake can and will take an egg from under a hen.

A rat also can and will take an egg out from under a hen, although they will often wait until she gets off the nest. Usually, they will wait until a day or two before they are due to hatch. I have actually seen a rat stealing an egg (don't think I have ever been madder
roll.png
)

Last edited:
Actually, what happened was it killed the baby inside, just 24 hours before it was due to hatch. Not too funny, really.
hmm.png
Or, is that what you meant?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom