New Englanders interested in sharing a chick order from DARKEGGS.COM?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SeaChick, Feb 4, 2008.

1. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    I just saw that you can order sexed Welsummers on www.darkeggs.com, as well as many other breeds. But the minimum order is 25 chicks. Would anyone else be interested in ordering any of the following breeds? We're in South Portland Maine, so obviously the closer the better....

Welsumer
    Barnevelder
    Black-Breasted REd Cubalayas
    Black Shamos
    Buff Chanteclers
    Cuckoo Marans
    Dark Aseels
    Iowa Blues
    Mottled Javas
    New Hampshires
    Partridge Chantelclers
    Red Shouldered Yokohamas
    Saipan Jungle Fowl
    Spangled Russian Orloffs
    White Giants
    Jersey Giants
    Dominiques
    Delawares
    RIR
    Barred Rocks
    BO

a few are straight run only but many of these can be ordered sexed......

Let us know if anyone is interested!!!

Stacey & Olivia

2. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    [​IMG] wish you were closer to me Cuz i would have done it

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

On another site I belong to it was said he gets his birds from Ideal Hatchery.

4. SeaChick

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Oh, really? So he doesn't hatch them himself? Or do you mean his original parent stock was from Ideal?

In any case- probably a mute point as I'd need several others to go in on this with me.

Sigh- SOMEDAY when I move and can have more than 6 hens, I'll be able to get good brown layers from one of you who breed them.......

5. valmom

valmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    Vermont
    I am in the same boat- I just am allowed to have 2 hens this year (to replace the 2 that died last year). I'd love two NH Reds. Unfortunately, Vermont and Maine are two of the most "you can't get there from here" places up here.[​IMG] It would probably take us half a day to drive to wherever you are:eek:

6. SeaChick

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Hi Valmom,

Well I'm in southern Maine.... POrtland.... which is 1 hour from Portsmouth NH right on I-95.

But it's still a haul I'm sure. PLus, since I would only beordering 2 or 3 chicks, and you only need a couple, we'd need to get a whole lot more people in on this to make the 25 minimum!

Oh, well..... it was worth a try! I'll keep watching this post and maybe we'll get enough. If we got a bunch of folks from around the same area I would be willing to partway to meet.

Stacey

7. Charlie Chicken

Charlie Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Phippsburg, ME
    Sorry SeaChick, I could have helped you out but I just ordered my new chicks last week. (Five varieties of Plymouth Rocks) We could have made a deal too because I go through Portland quite often on the way to and from Scarborough Downs.

What you need to do is find someone nearby who wants 25 but could spare a few.

8. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    at meyer hatchery you can order as few as 3 chicks it cost's more though but they do have sexed wellsummer's and maran's.

good luck
    Henry

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    What a great idea!!!!
    Anyone in Upstate New York interested in splitting an order from Sandhill Preservation Center??
    I'll pay all the shipping.

10. SeaChick

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Thanks, hcammack, for that tip. I'll search BYC and see if anyone has any Welsummers or Marans from Meyer. It will cost me $20 small-order fee plus $13.00 shipping, I guess like Mypetchicken,com....... we'll have to decide if its worth it. Those would be some expensive chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by