New Englanders! Much ado about New England!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by ticks, Jun 9, 2008.

1. maine chicks

maine chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    maine
    My girls hurried out the door this morning as soon as I got the path shoveled. Bright sunshine and a nice dusting hole under the coop made their day. Mine get grit when they go under to dust. Hope we can stay above the single digits for a few days. I shoveled last night only to wake up to 4 more inches but it was warm:).

2. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Quote:My pheasants did really really well.

3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with the spring thing, what a day in the life of a New Englander. The tractor wouldn't start, so that entails taking off the side to reach the starter with a heat lamp, managed to get that going by noon (started at 9 am), shoveled the oil mans path, meter readers path and then the hen yard for my and their easy walking. Got in to relax, changed out of wet clothing (who claims the "cab" - the kind that is plastic, Velcro and all that stuff to be dry? ugh. But that is ok, it blows snow a good 25 feet!
    Anyhow, the drain froze from the sink to the leach bed. Ok, that entails taking off the end of the pipe, hook the hose up to hot water, and as the ice plugs are melted, the water comes back into pails that need to be emptied, to then finally after 20 gallons of hot water, drain is thawed.
    I can hear the snow coming off the roof...its there until tomorrow. Guess I'll spend tomorrow building an incubator- thanks Simple Life!!! Great connection, those ladies are the ones that came to Milford, NH on their first Chickenstock! It was neat that we recognized each other!
    Thanks for letting me whine!!!

4. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    I think I have to plow snow every two days. Took me three hours today and before I could start I had to fix a chain for the front tire that broke the last time I plowed!

The news just reported tomorrow night is going to -12 so the cold is coming back. [​IMG] All I can say is if you do your own sugaring cold winters are supposed to make the best sap. I am going to make sure my spiles are polished and ready to go.

I swear it is the seed catalogs that keep me sane for the next few weeks! I need to up my vitamin D pills too.

[​IMG]

5. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I know! I need to go some place exotic [​IMG]

6. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    mainers where are you all located>? looking to map you out to find what would be central to reach all of you for a swap in maine for the spring.

7. maine chicks

maine chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    maine
    I'm in Harpswell-outside of Brunswick. Any chicken lovers should try to get hold of the book, Martha to the Rescue" by Janet Bonney. She is the Harpswell lady known all over for saving a frozen chicken. She is the same lady on the PBS program History of the Chicken. Any place you have a swop you might want to have some of her books available it is really cute kids story. ( No I am not the authur)

8. spook

I'm up here in the western foothills, near Bubbazmom, melilem, mmajw and lets see, I'm nearest to Mt.Abram Ski area.
    I was going to ask the TSC in Oxford if we could do a meet, but if you rather have one lower or mid coast, I'd be glad to go hang out, something I do best- lol

Could you guys please go and read my latest work of compiling information on some poultry diseases, I'd appreciate your support, and if you have a comment, please feel free to do so.
    Thanks in advance.

In-length article re: Chicken Colds
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=123652

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  9. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    no, if your all up by oxford then that is the place to hold it, thats great.

i did read into your article, and the follow up, is that someplace else? maybe i am losing my mind,

10. spook

I have made the final "opinion", definitions and quotes from Maine Officials that are in the diagnostic and State Vet level. Its going to be posted on the web page that Northern New England Bird Fanciers Association.
    I also placed this on my personal page. Each one of the other compositions are what led up to this final page, from opinions and questions that BYCers asked, or commented on by private email. It seems as tho these questions are a stong part of everyones life, some claiming to have clean birds, yet they are not and "I" am not the only one, if I am, nature will change that health level.
    So, that is why this particular post is important to me.
    We will see how many are game for my area, or for any area. I'll be happy to help anywhere, so if you or anyone else you know would like to host a Chickenstock, and you have the "best" place for it, by all means, let me know and I have no problem giving "you " a hand!!!
    Kel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by