New environment for a pullet

rgspine

Chirping
Apr 1, 2020
Can the stress of changing an environment and different group dynamics cause physical harm to a pullet even if it's for the better? I bought a few chickens from a chicken farmer who sells egg layers. Although the hens came from the same farm the pullet was from a different cage. I'm assuming by my interactions with this man that he wouldn't sell me a problem hen. The pullet is sleeping a lot, lethargic and I've got to coax her out of the coop in the morning. She is eating a bit although sparingly, doesn't appear to have anything visually wrong, looks healthy and sleeping a lot throughout the day. She is an Easter Egger and getting bullied by the three older hens of different breeds but doesn't seem overly excessive. I'm fairly new to the chicken world. Thanks for the feedback!

I believe this is their first spring of laying eggs based on the info from the farmer. Their combs seem fully grown.

I believe this is their first spring of laying eggs based on the info from the farmer. Their combs seem fully grown. The pullet did lay an egg the second day I got her. I picked up the group a few days ago.

She was actually the first one to find the water tube and went in the coop the first night. I will try that thank you!

If the others are hurting her, you may need to isolate her (within sight) for a couple weeks before releasing her. It's recommended the new birds spend two weeks in quarantine before introducing them to the larger flock in any case, to prevent the possible spread of disease (even if the bird is healthy, it may not be yet showing signs of a disease or infestation). Since you've already introduced her to the general population there's probably no need for quarantine at this point.

Back
Top Bottom