New Family Member?

Saigey

Songster
Jun 16, 2019
Alabama, USA
Well, this was unexpected! This little guy was in our neighbor's yard all by himself this morning for hours, peeping. We think he was a late hatch and his fam is already gone, and after a day of searching for his mom and/or fam, I think he might just join us. Downey and Hemmie are almost a year old and are very sweet Australian Spotteds. How do I safely introduce this little fella?

Attachments

• 20200709_163542.jpg
    20200709_163542.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200709_163554.jpg
    20200709_163554.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 12
How precious. Okay your going to have to keep them separate but where they can see each other. Even though they are sweet ducks they may not feel sweet to this little one. This wee babe will have to be pretty good size before it can safely be left with them unsupervised.

Cool, that's what I was thinking. Hemmie has been working on her nest for months, so I think she'll warm up to the little one. Downey will be happy as long as he doesn't feel like his woman is being threatened, lol. I'm letting them look at and listen to each other, but always with them separated by the enclosure. The little one is too tiny for anything with holes in it, so he'll be in the brooder for a bit anyway. They can listen to him/her chirp. I'm almost 100% sure it is a wood duck, which is the perfect size for this little bantam fam, if he decides to stay once he's big and strong.

Looks like a Woody. Have you thought of handing over to a rescue? Just so you know it's illegal to keep wild waterfowl unless you have a license. And most waterfowl rescues are over done this time of year and they may tell you to keep it. But at least you'd be going through the channels.

Looks like a Woody. Have you thought of handing over to a rescue? Just so you know it's illegal to keep wild waterfowl unless you have a license. And most waterfowl rescues are over done this time of year and they may tell you to keep it. But at least you'd be going through the channels.
I may look into that! It was too late to call them yesterday afternoon, but I can give them a call today. I'll be sad to see him go, because he's the sweetest little thing, but I love the two babies I have and it may be better for them. I'll keep you updated!

Jackie is doing well! No idea where he/she came from. Haven't seen a mother wood duck with babies anywhere! I think Jackie must have been a late hatch that managed to make it because it's so hot and humid in Alabama. Maybe. It's a mystery! I have tiny little Jackie in a separate brooder space where Downey and Hemmie can observe and vice-versa. My bed is where Hemmie and Downey come to snuggle with me (after dropcloths are placed, lol) and I tried putting them on the bed with Jackie on my shoulder (her favorite perch). Hemmie seemed curious, but a little spooked. Downey was curious, but he's Hemmie's bodyguard, so he was more actively curious. Nobody was traumatized, so that's good. I think once they're used to each other, it will be fine. If there had been instant hostility, I would've taken Jackie to the rescue center. So far, so good. Crossing fingers!

Attachments

• 20200710_004026.jpg
    20200710_004026.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 8
Jackie is doing well! No idea where he/she came from. Haven't seen a mother wood duck with babies anywhere! I think Jackie must have been a late hatch that managed to make it because it's so hot and humid in Alabama. Maybe. It's a mystery! I have tiny little Jackie in a separate brooder space where Downey and Hemmie can observe and vice-versa. My bed is where Hemmie and Downey come to snuggle with me (after dropcloths are placed, lol) and I tried putting them on the bed with Jackie on my shoulder (her favorite perch). Hemmie seemed curious, but a little spooked. Downey was curious, but he's Hemmie's bodyguard, so he was more actively curious. Nobody was traumatized, so that's good. I think once they're used to each other, it will be fine. If there had been instant hostility, I would've taken Jackie to the rescue center. So far, so good. Crossing fingers!

What a lovely picture ! I am glad things seem to be progressing well and hope it continues :)

Back
Top Bottom