New Feather Friend

Welcome to the coop! I use the Forums and Articles tabs at the top of the page to do research. You can get lost for hours. It's nice to know you are minutes away from getting help with questions and emergencies! I always check in the "What's New" section as well at the top of this page. This way I can read how I may have a similar question or help give some advice.

Glad to meet you, and welcome to BYC. Not all breeds of hens tend to go broody, or even all hens in broody breeds. As DobieLover Tonya says above, it's hormones you can't control. But if you are really interested, you can try to add a new member to your flock (carefully, after quarantine, and allowing the new hen to see the flock without them reaching her). If you choose a breed that is renowned for broodiness, after the new hen gets settled in, you may have a broody hen to give eggs to from all your hens. (here is an article with more details on how to introduce one or more new hens to your flock, assuming you will start with pullets ready to start laying themselves).

Breeds that tend to broodiness. When you make a choice about a chicken to add to your existing flock, keep in mind that some breeds are more likely to bully others, and some breeds are more likely to be bullied. Here is an internet article that discusses both of those, and gives at least that author's list of the breeds most likely in each category.

Best wishes with your birds, whatever you decide to do.

Glad to meet you, and welcome to BYC. Not all breeds of hens tend to go broody, or even all hens in broody breeds. As DobieLover Tonya says above, it's hormones you can't control. But if you are really interested, you can try to add a new member to your flock (carefully, after quarantine, and allowing the new hen to see the flock without them reaching her). If you choose a breed that is renowned for broodiness, after the new hen gets settled in, you may have a broody hen to give eggs to from all your hens. (here is an article with more details on how to introduce one or more new hens to your flock, assuming you will start with pullets ready to start laying themselves).

Breeds that tend to broodiness. When you make a choice about a chicken to add to your existing flock, keep in mind that some breeds are more likely to bully others, and some breeds are more likely to be bullied. Here is an internet article that discusses both of those, and gives at least that author's list of the breeds most likely in each category.

Best wishes with your birds, whatever you decide to do.
My chickens came from a broody hen, does that make a difference? I got my feather babies from a person (that was a friend) so I don't know what kind of chickens I have??

Attachments

• 20220904_073937.jpg
    20220904_073937.jpg
    614.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220708_151653.jpg
    20220708_151653.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom