NEW FEEDER

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by realsis, Aug 31, 2016.

1. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our new feeder!

1 person likes this.
  2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Nice!

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Thank you! Im really hoping it will cut down on the scattered food in the run. Ive noticed a bit of scatter but nowhere as much as *before with my old feeder.so far so good. You tube helped show hubby how to build this feeder. The large holding pipe is sewer pipe as it is a lot less money than PVC pipe. For a 10 foot line it was around 6 dollars. Where i live PVC is at least twice that price for a 10 foot pipe. Wondering how long the food lasts? Im hoping a few days at least! Before this id bring out their food 3 times a day. This will be much easier and can be moved into the coop for winter if need be. Now if i could only figure out how to keep our 20 gallon waterer clean!!! Its raised but somehow the dirt baths always find their way to the waterer! I have 9 standard females and one silkie and one rooster. Standard size. So that makes 11 to feed.trying not to have so much wasted food!

4. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Here in Ohio, the mice, rats, opossum, skunks, and racoons would break in to eat up all the food. I wish I could keep feed in front of my chickens 24/7, but everything would get ate by pests and predators. Racoons have managed to pry the lids off galvanized garbage cans with bungee cord over the lid:confused:. We used hanging feeders at one point and decided more food was being ate by pests and it was drawing in predators, so mine have to wait daily for me to feed them. I'm sure a lot of people don't/ won't have the same issues i have though. You did a great job.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by