New finds at Trade Day

BooBear

Chicken Cuddler
9 Years
Oct 7, 2010
Conroe, Texas
I had a fun and busy day today. Done wore myself out but it was worth it.
Headed over to the Trade Day event with one thing on my mind. Find a young bantam rooster to replace Cinnimon with.

Cinnimon turned bad by becoming too aggressive and rough with his hens. The poor things were stressed out from his abusive behavior so I pulled him out of the flock and stuck him in the bachlor pad. Cinnimon is sweet toward people and allows you to pick him up and cuddle; however, he is a menace to his girls so he has to go. Have an add out for him but no takers yet.

Well, my big girls have their teddy bear Lester who is gentle yet protective of them. Lester ignores the bantam girls despite how much they try to flirt with him. Poor bantam girls have gotten so desperate that they are flirting with Cinnimon, whom they normally run from, who is stuck in the bachlor pad.

So off I go with the mission to find a new Romeo that I hope turns out to be a smaller teddy bear for the little gals. This is the first time I have gone in the morning and boy was it packed! Folks were walking around with their cages n carriers on wagons ready to buy. (Next time I have to remember to carry my carrier too instead of leaving it in the car)

There were lots of adult bantam roosters to drool over. Lots of LF chicks, a few bantam chicks, loads of ducks, dogs for sale, goats, some quail, pigeons, phesants, turkey, geese, and peafowl. Also, had vendors selling parakeets, cocketails, conurs, and such. As I walked around oogling all the pretty birds (I always have to look at all of em before I buy) I came upon a pair of young white silkies that were for sale. The pair were lovely, bright eyed, and from talking to the vendor around 4 or 5 months old. Knowing not to let a good thing pass I went back to the car to get my carrier and made a bee line back to the booth that had the lovely pair. Made it back in the nick of time as soon as I bought them a man behind me said "Awe they are sold!" I was soo happy to get them as they were the only white silkies there. The only other vendor that had silkies had younger silkie chicks that were a soft grey and cream coloring.

Feeling good about my score I notice the arrival of one of my favorite vendors to check out. I don't know their names but in my mind it is the peacock folks. (They have very nice looking peafowl and pheasants.) So I mosey on over to see what they have out of curiousity. The lady running the both was overwhelmed by folks walking up as she was trying to set up. She has a rep for having really nice stock and folks make a beeline for her. She had some really nice birds and I walked away with my first peafowl chicks! 1 is supposed to be a black shoulder and 1 a pied. I love the call sounds that they make and that they are just beautiful birds.

I already had bought some chick start for game birds in hopes of getting a few guineas. However, the only vendor that had guineas sold out of them super fast. Already having the food on hand makes for setting up the new peachicks easy.

Happy with my finds I head home to get everyone situated in their new pens with fresh water and food. After getting them all tucked safely in their new accomodations I turn to finish my main weekend project of the bi-annual mucking out of the layer coop. (I use the deep liter method but still change 2 times a year due to our overly warm, humid climate). While cleaning I got a kick out of my girls reaction to the sounds from the peachicks. They look like little chicks but sound different. The hens had some confused looks about them.

Got so busy I forgot to get pictures of the new arrivals but will get some tomorrow to post.
hide.gif

I'd love to see pics! Must confess I've no idea what peafowl looks (sounds) like. We don't get them here...
sad.png

peafowl is peacocks. I love the exotic calls the males make.
Yep, I am now a multi-specie bird owner.
big_smile.png
I took today off so I will be checking on em' and taking pictures. Love their big eyes!

Now I just gotta think of some names for the new guys. Been thinking of calling the new white Silkie rooster Charming. Not sure what to name the girl yet. I like to watch them and let the names just pop out when I am talking to them. (My folks think I am nuts for talking to em')

Back
Top Bottom