NEW, First 6 Silkies

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 54eve, Dec 3, 2016.

1. 54eve

54eve Just Hatched

Dec 3, 2016
    Hi, I have 6 silkies that just turned 5 weeks old.
    I have 2 blk, 2 blues, 2 whites. Lol, Blacks are both Roo, Whites are Both Poulets, Blues are 1 Roo and 1 Poulet
    I'd like to get a White Roo and a Black Poulet.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    SILKIES are one the hardest breeds to sex before 4-5 mos. of age and sometimes not till they crow or lay. If anyone sexed them for you at the extremely early age of 5 weeks, I would ignore them.- I would suggest you don't get any more till yours are old enough to be positively sexed, or you may end up with nothing but males.

You may want to ask on the "silkie thread," or "what breed or gender is this." but at 5 weeks I wouldn't give a nickel for anyone's opinion.

1 person likes this.
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Congratulations on your new silkies :clap I too have to agree that 5 weeks is very early to know the gender of your new silkies. I really hope you are right and you do have pullets. You might like to pop by our what breed gender section for more help with them ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Good luck with your new silkies in the future and enjoy BYC :frow

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under 54eve [​IMG] Welcome!

Congratulations on your new Silkies. I too hope that the right ones turn out to be the boys and girls you hope they are. As already mentioned, with Silkies sometimes even the experts are not 100% sure until they hear that first crow or see that first egg and the wait can be 5-6 months for either.

I hope you enjoy BYC; not only is it overflowing with lots of useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures about chickens, turkeys, duck, quail, Peas and pretty much any other feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

6. 54eve

54eve Just Hatched

Dec 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

7. 54eve

54eve Just Hatched

Dec 3, 2016
    My Guys are roosting for the 1st time, they will be 6 weeks old this Thursday. I have really enjoyed getting to know them.

8. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Glad you are enjoying your birds!

1 person likes this.
  9. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus