New flight cage

Thats a real bummer but it is hard to keep those rascals out no matter what yah build. We set live traps around our perimeter about 300 foot out and catch them by the handfuls, we actually caught two in one trap at the same time the other night. Now granted we are on 50 acres so we do have alot of traveling predators coming through to use our pond. Have caught everyone so far though, have yet to lose a bird to em.

Yikes. Sorry to hear that... I walked out to a blood bath earlier this week after putting six new little guys in with my general population. Its no fun losing birds, especially when it is to you own birds. Guess I will need to start up on flight pen number two for the last batch I incubated...

The flight cage has been a success. I've put silt fencing around the base to block predators from seeing them and added a hot wire. Out of the approximately 90 birds from last summer, I've got about a dozen still in the flight cage laying eggs, most are all over the neighborhood, the neighbors think they are adorable and two people have told me they have seen babies following the parents. I hatched out another 50+ a few weeks ago to raise over the winter. It's definitely possible to reintroduce quail to your neighborhood if you have the right conditions. I'll try to get some video done soon.

Back
Top Bottom