New flock additions, just not integrating! Thoughts/Advice?

DigiChicken

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 27, 2013
San Diego, CA
Hello-

I've got a small flock of 4 girls. In the spring, I decided to add two birds. Kept them separate for a month to let them grow & quarantine. Once big enough, I started integrating them, slowly at first. They spent a few hours in with the big girls, then whole days, and eventually once I was sure they were big enough the nights, too. The six have been together for months now. It's like I have 2 flocks - old with old, young with young. The young birds act SUPER panicky around the rest of the flock, particularly one of my barred rocks (she must be the leader).

I keep hoping that they will come together as the new hens start laying. I noticed a big change the last time I added to the flock once egg-laying was established in the new hens. The old girls aren't honestly that bad (aggressive). The odd peck when the new girls come out for a food treat is the worst that happens. It's every chicken for themselves when there's grapes to be had!

The new girls spend their days hiding on the side of their run (a small hallway), or they sneak to the food & water area when the old girls aren't there...basically acting like it's a war zone in there, when it really isn't!

The new birds haven't started laying yet (as my only girls that will lay white eggs, I'll know exactly when they start), and should start within the next few weeks. I can easily see that if they spend their days super stressed out that it might prevent egg-laying. Is there anything I can do to help them integrate or is this a waiting game? I wonder if I should prevent them from being able to go in their little hallway hideout, forcing them to be around the other birds?

Any thoughts would be most welcome. Thanks!
Alexandra (in San Diego, CA)

Right, so I did a bunch of reading on here that I suppose I should've done before posting. Seems like the birds are acting exactly like their breeds. Barreds a bit bossy, Leghorns flighty. I guess it's just how they're supposed to act, and I'm just not used to birds as flighty as these girls are (my kids wanted the white birds, and all I knew at that point was that they're good layers. lol), so I guess it's the waiting game of those final weeks before the laying happens and I think I'm in that desperate/impatient part. :)

Just today I was hand feeding them a sandwich that the children didn't eat for lunch and one of the whites ate out of my hand with the rest of them for the first time...she was still flighty, but ran up between the old girls and grabbed a couple of quick bites! Amazing!

I purchaced my first mini-flock in the spring. I have three girls, originally four but one died after being home for a couple days. They passed the 22 week mark and still were not laying. So I purchaced two more who were presently laying. I brought them home and tried putting them all together to see what the reaction would be. It wasn't a great one let me tell ya. The new chickens, I'll call them the whites, were quite aggresive towards my girls always pecking and chasing. I then seperated them and tried a slower integration. That did not work. It was pretty cute though because the leader of my group of girls was dominated by a white. When my girls figured this out I became their leader hen. LOL. I was so upset because of all the pecking being done to my girls that I got rid of the whites. Now were are at week 31-27 and still no eggs!

We had a white one a few years ago that was SO aggressive, all she did was run around and peck at the other chickens. I traded her in for another chicken. She was too much for my backyard flock, you know?

Sorry you don't have eggs yet! That is a very long wait. Have you checked for mites? I hear mites can cause them to stop (or never start?!) laying. I wish I had some good advice for you! I hope it happens for you soon!

Alexandra

I just wanted to update...so interesting, IMO. The new girls started laying a few weeks ago and their demeanor has really changed. Fascinating stuff! They're much more willing to charge up and get food now and have really settled down.

Although, sadly, they broke free and one of them drowned in a little pool we set up for the kids for the summer. :( I'm contemplating whether I get one more bird. The girl that is left is doing well, but I'm sad that she doesn't have her buddy any more. However I understand you don't add 'em in ones...so...huh. :( Any advice?

I just wanted to update...so interesting, IMO. The new girls started laying a few weeks ago and their demeanor has really changed. Fascinating stuff! They're much more willing to charge up and get food now and have really settled down.

Although, sadly, they broke free and one of them drowned in a little pool we set up for the kids for the summer. :( I'm contemplating whether I get one more bird. The girl that is left is doing well, but I'm sad that she doesn't have her buddy any more. However I understand you don't add 'em in ones...so...huh. :( Any advice?

I think you should get another bird for you, if you want one--not for the other birds. If the pullet has integrated well at this point, she doesn't care. If you get just one single bird, you're going to have to start all over again with one lone, sad chicken that's not part of the flock yet--and that chicken won't have the benefit of a buddy to hang with before the flock accepts her.

You'll probably want more hens in a year or two anyway as these stop laying quite so well. IMO, I'd wait until then and get a new group of hens all together rather than trying to integrate one single hen that may or may not buddy up to the hen that you're trying to give a friend to.

thanks! I was leaning that way, too. Thanks for the advice. It was my 6-yr. old's bird, my mom guilt was pressuring me to replace it sooner rather than later. I'll tell her she can pick out one for the next group.

Back
Top Bottom