New flock, New account...

foREVer

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
SE Michigan
Last week when I bought a new bag of feed (Dumor 20% layer) I noticed that it smelled sorta musty, and had the slightest scent of rotting flesh. I thought it was just me being paranoid, and refilled their feeder. About two days later, when they had gotten to the middle of their feed, I noticed a baseball-sized clump of MOLD in their food, and they were NOT looking good. They were huddled up in the corner despite it being 50 degrees in there, their tails were droopy and their combs were pale. I dumped all of the food immideately, and went straight to the not-so-local TSC to get new food and place a complaint with the manager. He was being a real d*** about it, if you know what I mean. I told him the situation, and all he said was that I should clean their feeder more often. Can mold REALLY grow to that huge of a clump in a matter of two days?!
he.gif

Anyway, I put some antibiotic in their water, and it didn't help them. Within two days all 12 of them were dead except for a small black hen.
barnie.gif

Yesterday I went back up to TSC and got 16 chicks to get my flock back up and going again. I got 2 mystery bantams, 4 bantam Bhramas, 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 3 Gold Laced Wyandottes, and 4 black mystery pullets. I'll be posting pics of them in a little bit
smile.png

I also decided to make a new account to match my new flock, so no need for new member introductions.
tongue.png

(My old account was EastinChickens)

Last edited:
was it just mold or did it have fibers in it as well. I have seen things like that in old bags of cat food and dog food never chicken feed but I am sure its all the same when it comes to contamination. The reason I ask about the fibers is because I have found some type of worm/caterpillar living in the food which makes a big ball of nasty smelling stuff. Which I am guessing is mold growing on their droppings.

I would of brought the feed back to them with the growth and told them you want your money back. I would also contact the stores main office and inform them that you got a bad of bad feed or contaminated feed from your store.

hugs.gif
for the lost girls.

@ Emmalion: No, I didn't see any fibers, it was just a fuzzy greenish ball of mold. It smelled sorta funny and musty, but nothing nasty
hu.gif

@ Jesseschickens: I know, it was very hard, but I coped with it by getting new fuzzy butts
tongue.png
I guess having those cute little guys helps keep your mind off of it.

Today my friend and I cleaned all of the hay and everything out of the coop, and I am planning on disinfecting it and fixing the run and siding up a bit before I put the new chicks out there in the beginning of summer.

Names of the chickies so far... We may make some changes
tongue.png

Jeffy
Frisbee
Trippy
Spanky
Tippy
Nubby
Hammy
Cheesy
Swissy
Squishy