New flock won’t hit waterer nipples

Panhandler80

Songster
Feb 11, 2020
NW Florida
So I just have some 8 week olds full time access to run. My last flock took to the horizontal waterer nipples immediately. They were also brand new and bright red. They are now very faded. These new birds have yet to figure it out. I gave them access to run on Saturday. I have caught a couple and put their beaks to a waterer, but that hasn’t helped. Maybe paint them a bright red again???? Just need to be careful not to gum up the valve. Also not wild about them ingesting paint. Guess I could try dying with food coloring ??

I’d buy new but there are a dozen out there and last time I had some difficulty getting them to seal.

Or…. Just give it time and let them eventually figure it out? Im just about tired of cleaning / replenishing water each day. The perm system is hooked up to 55 gallon drum and makes for very low maintenance when they Use it.

So I just have some 8 week olds full time access to run. My last flock took to the horizontal waterer nipples immediately. They were also brand new and bright red. They are now very faded. These new birds have yet to figure it out. I gave them access to run on Saturday. I have caught a couple and put their beaks to a waterer, but that hasn’t helped. Maybe paint them a bright red again???? Just need to be careful not to gum up the valve. Also not wild about them ingesting paint. Guess I could try dying with food coloring ??

I’d buy new but there are a dozen out there and last time I had some difficulty getting them to seal.

Or…. Just give it time and let them eventually figure it out? Im just about tired of cleaning / replenishing water each day. The perm system is hooked up to 55 gallon drum and makes for very low maintenance when they Use it.
I’ve used them forever. I just put their beaks on it for as long as I can remember. They the part that they peck is chrome and has always worked.

Part of it is they learn from the other chickens and even my ducks learned how with not any help from me that I can remember!

I had to teach my older hens who had only ever dealt with bowl-type water, and one thing I would do is put a single black oil sunflower seed on the tiny bottom "lip" under the chrome nipple. As my ladies tried for the seed, they would inadvertently also press the nipple. I did this for a few days, and they got the hang of it. Might be worth a try?

One day of no water was all it took.

Thanks!

For days now I’ve been tapping on it and putting their beaks and it. Came home today after 8 hours of low humidity and sun. I went in run and tapped on a few. Received immediate attention from speckled Sussex. While I was typing on down the line, she started on the water station closest to the coop.
Within 90 seconds 25 fighting over 4 nipples. I’m sure it will take them long to discover that there are three other stations down the length of the run.
IMG_2016.jpeg
IMG_2011.jpeg
IMG_2018.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom