new flock

mjsandt

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 21, 2013
NC
I cleared out all my chickens last summer and I am now starting to get ready for spring with new birds. I have eight bitties in a pen under a lamp that are doing well. I also have four BR that are abour 16 weeks old that I have had about a week now. The BR are in a run with a house that is raised about two feet off the ground with a ramp with steps on it for traction. It is dipping down into the teens here at night and I have not been notincing any droppings under the roost pole or in the nest boxes in the house. I walked out last night to see where they where. All four birds were snuggled up to the fence on the ground(pime pickin's for a coon). I have never seen them go in the house durring the day. The last few years I have kept 20-50 birds that used the house with no problems, even raised some cornish rock meat birds in there one time. Why wont they go in? They are tame and can be picked up and placed on the roost pole but get down after a minute.

Last edited:
Some birds take longer to decide to roost. I would place them on the roost at night and close the pop door so they can't go out. Eventually they'll feel more comfortable inside.
Could the coop have issues like humidity or poor ventilation making it uncomfortable for them?

No. It has a slant roof and the eves on the front and back are open. The roof overhangs the edges by a foot or so.

Sounds like the BRs don't know where home is yet. Keep them contained in the coop for a couple of weeks, then they will get the idea, that's where they are supposed to go at night. As far as them not roosting goes, eventually, they will get up on the roost bars. Some people will go through the trouble of putting them on the bars every night themselves. You don't have to go through that, they WILL get up there when they want to.
Jack

Back
Top Bottom