New flock

The black and white one is a barred plymouth rock, the one you labled Sandy is and Easter Egger and I am unsure of the others. Also by veiwing your photos I noticed they have a raised wire floor coop. The only thing I would be concerned about is the chicken wire is weak and also the holes are very large, they will have a very hard time walking around on that I would think. You may want to concider changing the wire to 1/2 inch hardware cloth or removeing the wire floor and wrapping wire around the legs of the hutch and build them a ladder so they can go down to the ground and them maybe give them a roost off the ground to perch on. Just a suggestion
wink.png

We are hopefully going to finish our new coop tonight or tomorrow and it will be much nicer! there won't be any wire floors and lots of good bedding and plenty of room. It has all happened so fast and my hubby just injured his hand so I am going to be doing most of the building! I have a great instructor so I am just it will be great just a bit slower of a process. I will post pictures soon! I think alot of our new chickens are mutts because they were all together and I knew he has raised some from babies that came after his original flock.

So I was shocked last night when I candled the eggs again (its going to be so hard to not handle them!) and saw it looks like their is signs of life in 3 out of 5! Plus I wanted to show our new coop design (as our first was not very good)

We have the sweetest chicken! Having chickens is so much different that I expected. The bird above is so sweet to us, she's like a loving cat! I don't care if she is done laying eggs (she hasn't laid a single egg is over a month, and she appears to be and older bird), she is the coolest chicken!!

Oh and I put the dates wrong on the second picture. It was taken last night 2/12

So I was shocked last night when I candled the eggs again (its going to be so hard to not handle them!) and saw it looks like their is signs of life in 3 out of 5! Plus I wanted to show our new coop design (as our first was not very good)

We have the sweetest chicken! Having chickens is so much different that I expected. The bird above is so sweet to us, she's like a loving cat! I don't care if she is done laying eggs (she hasn't laid a single egg is over a month, and she appears to be and older bird), she is the coolest chicken!!
AWESOME and I adore that coop! I love rustic!! awesomeness!!

Hi! An update on our eggs :) So this weekend will be 21 days from when the eggs were laid so I candled them over the past weekend and we have lost 2 out of the 5 so we are now at the point of not turning them any more and just waiting. I hope they hatch and that I have many more questions on raising chicks for you all! I'm hopeful and excited!

Hi its day 23 and we have 1 hatch out of 3! Still waiting on the others I hope to show you pictures of them too!

Unfortunately no others made it so we had to get Wheezy some play mates. So we got some EEs

They are so cute!!!

Hello! I've got a new problem and would love some advice and opinions. Our miniature daschund got ahold of our big hen an EE and her wing is injured. the injured wing sits lower than the other one and she doesn't seem to be able to "flutter" or fly. And of course her buddies are mean to her. She will eat but pretty much out of your hand only. I checked her out after it happened and their really wasn't any blood and when I feel around her wing she doesn't act like it hurts. Do you think it is just strained or could it be broken? I haven't seen her move it much, she seems to be walking fine, but pretty much just sits all balled up (it makes her look fat) with her neck drawn in.

That sounds awful the poor chicken, Im going to asume she is indeed injured her wing could be dislocated, fractured or maybe broken hopfully its none of those. You may get more responses if you post in the emergancy thread also. I wish you luck with your chicken.

Back
Top Bottom