New from Australia

Thanks everyone. Yes, I gave them a scrambled egg this morning, and also more cooked lamb mince, and spinach. Whipped up some yogurt with oats but they weren't very keen on it? What type of greens do you think are the best to give them?

Hi sleepalot

It sounds like we're both dealing with the same problem. I've got to take my dog to the vet tommorow, while I'm there I'll ask about our problem. Hopefully we'll both get to the bottom of this.
Yes it does sound like it. Did your sussex have diarrhea too? Was it thin? Please let me know what your vet says.

Also, I've noticed from a couple of days ago there have been quite a lot of feathers in the floor of the run. I thought they might be molting. Today I noticed Ginger is starting to look bare around her chin and the top of her head too. Is this just normal moulting, or something I need to worry about that may be related to the health problems? This is my first year of owning chickens so I don't know what normal moulting is supposed to look like, and when I actually need to worry! Thanks!

Yes it does sound like it. Did your sussex have diarrhea too? Was it thin? Please let me know what your vet says.

Yeah diarrhea, they are a little on the thin side too. And now that you mention it, there were a quite a few feathers around the chook shed.
I'll check with the vet and get back to you.

Booked in for the vet tomorrow morning. I described the chook symptoms over the phone, she told me what I described was too vague to make a diagnosis and that they would need to have seen the chook. The only suggestion I got was that it might be the colder nights, but I think if that were the case all my chooks would be dead. I'll ask again tomorrow when I go in.

Thanks Lordstark, please do keep me posted.

I checked out the link, my Nugget's vent doesn't look anything near that nasty? More like a bit dirty from passing the poo. I saw a bit of runny poo in the run this morning when I was just leaving for work, but I'm not sure if it's because I gave them lettuce? I heard lettuce can make poo a bit runny sometimes?

They were all bright and alert this morning, and had a healthy appetite. I gave them more cooked mince and scrambled egg. No diarrhea in the coop overnight. Will keep observing.

I felt their crops tonight (didn't pick them up as I got home too late and they were already settled, I didn't want to upset them too much) and they all felt full and normal.

The weather is getting cooler here too, especially at night. Does anyone know if I need to put the thin moulting girls inside where it's warm (like in a box in a garage with heat lamp outside the box), or would they be ok in the coop? They're still eating, comb looks normal, no messy diarrhea that I can see.

I keep worrying now, really don't want to find another dead chook in the morning!

Went to the vet and was given a bottle of stuff called Piperazine solution. It's supposed to worm them. It's fairly cheap ($13.50) and you put it in their water.
You can use as directed, but the vet recommended I put in 40mls per five litres. That was based on the amount of chooks I have and their age, so that might not be recommended
for you. I gave it to them this afternoon and they were happily drinking it.

Poor ventilation was another suggestion, which is something I'm taking into account. I'm not happy where they've been roosting and I'm hoping to try and get them in the habit of sleeping in a better spot.

Another solution was treating them with antibiotics. But they'd need to see a sick chook before they could prescribe antibiotics.

Hope this helps and good luck with your chooks.

Back
Top Bottom