New from CA, and finally have chickens!!

blusea23

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Aromas, CA
Hi everyone!
Ever since I was a 4-Her, I wanted to have chickens. My dad forbade me because he thought they were too dirty to keep on the dairy farm, so I kept myself happy with my horses. After college, getting married, and moving around a bit (KY, NY, SD), we have recently settled in CA and found a lovely house to rent. We have a big backyard and landlords that gave us the go-ahead to build a coop and get some chicks. We picked out a coop design we could manage and got started.

With the coop finally finished and six happy chicks (2 black sexlinks, 2 buff orpingtons, and 2 wyandottes) we are having so much fun! I've already had lots of questions answered by cruising the threads, and can't wait to learn more as my babies grow and start laying.

Any other displaced farm girls out there? Glad to be part of the group!

Welcome. I'm glad you have such an great landlord. Fortunately I haven't found chickens to be dirty, but their scratching around as adults can be a little hard on a lawn sometimes. Of course I think they are totally worth a few bare spots. Continue enjoying the chicken adventure.

I'm just a former suburbanite who discovered her inner farm girl.

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Alabama. Congrats on your chicks & good luck with them
thumbsup.gif
I'm not a displaced farm girl, but I am a small town girl that finally got to have a little farm
big_smile.png

Welcome from another Californian!

You picked a good mix for a flock! I, too, rent, and keep my land-lady well supplied with eggs. I am moving soon, because I'm trying to buy a house, but since my land-lady is a co-worker, I promised I will just bring her eggs to work anyway. She will never need to pay for them, because she has let me keep chickens. It's been that important to me!

Chickens are a hoot! Relaxing, laughable, personable, and full of antics.

Thanks everyone!
big_smile.png
. I'm so glad such a vibrant online community exists for our hobby/obsession! Look forward to seeing more of you all in the future.

Cheers and cheeps!

Back
Top Bottom