1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New from Canton, Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hollyk, Nov 22, 2008.

1. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    Hello,
    My name is Holly Ross and I have had 3 chickens for about 6 weeks. I must say that I never thought I would be raising chickens, but life is full of surprises. I am very happily married to my husband, Tony, [​IMG] of 16 years, I have four awesome kids- 3 girls- 15,13, and 9 and one boy- 7. My father-in-law has kept me in fresh eggs for years, but I deciced I needed some chickens for organic pest control and fertilizer. My chickens are free range. I am so smitten by the funny birds that I have placed my first order for 26 Ameraucanas ( yes, I know from a hatchery these are not fool bloods, just Easter Eggers). I have learned so much from this site already, thanks a bunch.[​IMG]

2. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Welcome!! Where in TX is Canton? It's BIG state! [​IMG]

3. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    [​IMG] I'm bout an hour from you over here just outside Corsicana. Before you know it you will be building and incubator & hatching your own chicks.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

Hee hee... You've only had chickens for six weeks and already you're ordering more! You realize this is not just a hobby, but an obsession, right? (It means you're like all of us. [​IMG] ).

5. hollyk

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    Thanks for all the welcomes! Canton is located about 60 miles east of Dallas on I-20. Home to the world famous First Monday Trades Days! If you have ever heard of Canton its probably because of that flea market. Usually its a little town of about 5000, except for the weekend of First Monday when we can have as many as 250,000:sick

I was just in Corsicana last weekend, we bought a bottle baby goat. Talk about cute.

My 13 yr old, Savannah has been stuck on geese for awhile. She is instant that she get to hatch a batch of geese this summer so they will think she is their mother.[​IMG]

So, yes I guess we are over the edge already.

6. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I use to go to Canton every Oct or Nov for the flea market but haven't been in 13 years. Last time I went I was 8 months pregnant..NOT FUN while pregnant.

Sounds like your family is already addicted. Welcome to BYC!!!

jackie

7. poei

poei Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    DAYTON, TX
    [​IMG] Howdy! [​IMG]

8. crubner

crubner Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2008
    Hi Holly,

I'm in Terrell. Went to First Monday in November and bought a couple of hens because I had lost mine and my rooster was lonely. Unfortunately one of them died but the other one is doing well. One more week of quarentine (sp?) and my rooster will have more company. I also have 4 EE that are about 16 weeks.

I too have ordered 26 chicks but they won't be delivered until next June. Didn't think my son and future daughter-in-law would like 26+ chickens running around during their wedding! [​IMG]

Cheryl

9. hollyk

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    My three chickens came from First Monday also. I don't really like to buy down there much, but it is so easy.

You are a very thoughtful mother to think of your kids before you order!

10. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG]

I have a couple Easter-eggs and want to order more in the spring. They are great so far, 2 little trouble makers with alot of personality.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by