New from Central Iowa

LittleHouseOnThePrairie

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 18, 2010
Central Iowa
(1) I got my first hen, Jenny, in November 2009 from www.freecycle.org. My hubby says she is the most expensive free chicken in the world.
big_smile.png
I didn't want her to be lonely, so I bought a buff orpington, Omelet, to keep Jenny company. And I was thrilled to be getting two eggs most days in the middle of winter, no less! Then my sons started asking to raise some chicks, so we placed an order. My hubby now knows that he should never provide me with a glass of wine while the boys and are "shopping the net" for chicks!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
In addition to Jenny and Omelet, we now have 12 chickens of various breed, including Cuckoo Marans, Golden Campine, Rhode Island Red, Rhode Island White, Black Australorp, Salmon Faverolle, Golden Lakenvelder, and a buff Brahma. We went for a true variety pack. We also ordered a White Crested Black Polish pullet that started to crow two weeks ago, so we renamed him Einstein. My hubby says if he had two braincells to rub together he would shut up and try to lay an egg!
lol.png

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
The woman who gave me Jenny recommended the site, but up until now, I only used it to learn the basics of caring for a couple of hens. But now I'm all in!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I love to garden (both veggies and flowers), watch my boys play soccer and baseball, visit my daughter whenever possible (she is in the Army), and drink red wine with my wonderful husband.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
1 adventurous daughter (19), 3 happy-go-lucky sons (18, 13, and 9), 2 dogs (one blind the other dumb), 3 cats (all came as strays). I own my own consulting business and should be working right now...but I'm having too much fun on BackYardChickens! This could turn into a bad habit...but it looks like I'm in good company!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom