new from Eastern Idaho!!

shadowpaints

Songster
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Hello everyone! we decided in feburary that since we raise goats for meat and milk.. and raise a few steers a year for meat that it would make sense to have chickens too! sooooo the end of feburary or the first part of march we started.... LOL
we got 10 golden sexlink hens lost 2 tho

then a month later we got 10 silkies my favorite breed! my grampa raised them and they are so awesome!

and then 3 weeks ago we decided that we needed meat birds.. so thats where the Cornish crosses come into play. all 30 of them!!

so now, with 48 chickens (OMG i had just now added them all together) we are loaded. lol the sex links are starting to act like they are going ot lay soon! YAY! the silkies are still maturing into furry lookin creatures... lol and the cornish crosses are in the house still! although those cornish are going out today i cant stand the noise! lol

other than the chickens we have a WIDE array of animals....
8 milking does alpines mostly
5 pygmy does and one pygmy weather
8 shelties ( 5 are 3 week old pups!)
1 barn cat
7 miniature horse mares and one stallion
2 big horses
and the resident farm dog... a mutt!

then there is me, Becca my hubby, Shawn who is a truck driver and our 2 daughters, Mackenzie (5) and KaylaSue(3)
needless to say we stay busy! i am looking forward to learning about chickens a bit more and to 'meeting' every one!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

OHH!
I bet you are whooped tired at the end of the day. I want a milking goat, but My husband just keeps reminding me of how tired I am now. I hear you on the chicken in the house fatigue. I thought it was a great idea until week two. Now that they are out of the house and into the coop, it's all good.

Welcome from Kansas. I used to visit North Idaho every summer years ago, and really miss it. You live in such a beautiful state!

Welcome to BYC. We have an awesome bunch of people on here.

Thanks for all the great welcomes!!
yes we are tired at the end of the day but it is so nice not having to buy meat and milk! and soon eggs!

we love it here in Idaho and wouldnt dream of living anywhere else . we dont really go anywhere... we tak a week long camping trip but thats about it! lol we show the miniatures and the Alpines.. the shelties do agility. things will definatly calm down when the cornish crosses are in the freezer and the sheltie pups head to their new homes! lol

Back
Top Bottom