1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New from Eugene Oregon

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by marciab, Apr 9, 2009.

1. marciab

marciab New Egg

Apr 9, 2009
    Hello from beautiful Eugene Oregon. I and new at raising chickens and ducks. I have had mine for over 2 weeks now and need to start considering their perm housing status. I was wondering can ducks and chickens have the same type of housing built for them?[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  2. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    [​IMG] Welcome from Iowa.
    Yes, you can house chickens and ducks together, but be warned that ducks are much messier and tend to get their water everywhere. Chickens prefer a dry environment. Ducks LOVE water.
    Keep reading here at BYC, there's so much info and you'll learn so much. There's a "search" feature on the blue bar above to help you find the info you seek.
    Again, welcome.
    [​IMG]

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

4. marciab

marciab New Egg

Apr 9, 2009
    Thanks! What type of housing and run would you recommend? I live in the city and have an landscaped oversized yard and would like to keep the footprint down to a minimum if possible. Maybe something 2-story'ish

5. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    Hi there.....I'm new from Eugene too! Just getting my chickens tomorrow. I'm so excited! How old are your babes?

6. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

Hi marciab! Welcome to BYC!!! [​IMG]

You might want to look over the coop section here - there are some awesome coop designs and many have detailed pages that show how they were built, etc. It might help you decide on what you want to do with your coop!!!

I housed chickens and ducks together - and the only bd news is that the ducks do make mod hole wherever they go!!! [​IMG] And they do like clean kiddie pool to swim in - something you don't want to place near young chicks (or less bright older chickens.. ) that might fall in...

I am sure there are other folks on BYC that have chickens and ducks -- and if you post your question in the waterfowl section or in coop sections - I'll bet you'll bet the info you need!

[​IMG]

7. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    [​IMG]

8. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hello and [​IMG] from NC

9. countrygirlatheart