New From Iowa!

Plushness

Chirping
Mar 28, 2023
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I'm new to chicken keeping, I recently gotten my first 4 chickens last weekend.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Currently, I have 4. Since I'm new, I hope to have all 4 by the time they've fully grown up.
(3) What breeds do you have?
Unfortunately, I don't remember. I was able to buy them at a local hardware store that sells farming related equipment, which also has chicks as well. I wasn't able to get information on the breed, since I was pretty hyper focused on finally having chickens since we missed last year.
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I currently plan to raise them indoors, and yes, I know that is unconventional. Though this does easily solve problems of predators, can keep a better eye on them and other various reasons. I do understand this is not what people typically do, which I'm willing to go through solving some of the problems when having home chickens.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Playing video games, making art in various mediums, clothing making, cooking and baking.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I don't have any other pets, which is another reason why I plan for my chickens to be indoors. My bf and I cannot afford to have a pet, thus the chickens are a good option as a pseudo-pet. We hope to benefit from the eggs they lay, as well as having chickens to socialize.

Currently, my occupation is to stay at home being a "housewife", I'm male btw. My bf and I have been together for about 4 years, we live what is considered to be a more traditional life style, I guess you can say. Nonetheless, our traditional life style might not be for a long time because, before I moved in, I have saved a lot of money of my own to use on perusing my own means of higher education and starting a business of my own.
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
I have only recently found out about BYC, I want to know more about keeping chickens and have plenty of my questions answered. I want to make sure I get, ideally, zero deaths of my current 4 chickens with how I plan to keep them. Though I will only know the answerers to my questions if I utilize this website and discuss on the various questions and topics I may bring up. I look forward to making more forum posts in the near future! (´。• ◡ •。`)

:welcome

Hi, there are other members that have "house chickens". If you use the Search Forums tool, you can find threads & posts about them.

Best wishes with your plans!
Thank you for the welcome, I have done a good amount research on indoor/house chickens from sources outside of BYC, but I have been looking through the forums since posting my introduction. Some people seem hostile to the idea, but plenty look to be welcoming to the idea. I presume this is a controversial topic?

Regardless, these are the plans I have and the journey will have problems I will need to find solutions to along the way. My ultimate goal is to have happy and healthy chickens as well as I try to live the same! (‐^ ▽ ^‐)

Thank you for the welcome, I have done a good amount research on indoor/house chickens from sources outside of BYC, but I have been looking through the forums since posting my introduction. Some people seem hostile to the idea, but plenty look to be welcoming to the idea. I presume this is a controversial topic?

Regardless, these are the plans I have and the journey will have problems I will need to find solutions to along the way. My ultimate goal is to have happy and healthy chickens as well as I try to live the same! (‐^ ▽ ^‐)

Everyone has their own way of doing things, yours is just a little different than most people's. But your ultimate goal (happy & healthy) is what we all have in common :)

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

There are a LOT of members that keep house chickens here on BYC, although many don't post about it. As @N F C mentioned we all raise our birds as we want and need to. What brings us all together is our love of poultry. Just keep doing exactly as you are, it's the only way to be. :)

Make yourself at home here and welcome aboard!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I have done a good amount research on indoor/house chickens from sources outside of BYC, but I have been looking through the forums since posting my introduction. Some people seem hostile to the idea, but plenty look to be welcoming to the idea. I presume this is a controversial topic?
I don't think it is so much hostility but trying to get people (especially those who have never owned chickens) to understand that these creatures belong outside.
They love to scratch around in the earth and search for bugs, grass, weeds, seeds, etc. to eat.
Chickens-1.jpg

They love to sun bathe.
Barb sun bathing.jpg
girls sunbathing.jpg

They love to run and flap their wings and fly up to perch on things.
IMG_20220815_155613254_HDR.jpg

They love to dig holes in the ground and dust bathe and need to do so to keep their skin healthy.
dust bath.jpg

They are extremely dusty and each bird poops about 12 - 16 times a day.

Whenever you get any animal it is best to provide what that specific type of animal needs, not what you want.

Whenever you get any animal it is best to provide what that specific type of animal needs, not what you want.
Thank you for the welcome! ^^
I do intend to figure out solutions to the problems at hand, I'm fine with being able to accommodate my life around the chickens to ensure the health and safety for both chicken and human.

Overall, they will be in the space of humans, which is far more sanitary than the outdoors. However, they will still need to do what is natural to them to have fun, be happy and stay healthy. I don't have any qualms in figuring out solutions to the problems at play.

Welcome to BYC!

Most of us aren't opposed to the idea of house chickens if they are kept healthy and are able to patriciate in normal chicken activates. It's also very important that the living space (yours and the birds) is clean and hygienic.
Thank you for the welcome! ^^
I did say some people are opposed to the idea, but plenty are open or in support. I have plenty of ideas on how to solve certain problems at play and I do intend to apply other's and my own solutions to ensure they are kept healthy and can still participate in normal chicken activates.

Back
Top Bottom