New from Iowa

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rumdom, Apr 7, 2012.

1. rumdom

rumdom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2012
    Iowa
    Well I have been using this site for 4 years when we 1st got 2 hens and a rooster and had no clue what to do. Always wanted to try having chickens but it took a 12 pack of Bud (shared by 2 of us) and a short walk thru the chicken show at the Iowa State Fair. When we walked out of there we had purchased 2 hens and a rooster. Since we were campimg in a tent and traveling some distance our 1st challege is where do we put them and how do we get them home? Well we walked over to the horse area at the fair and talked the saddle folks out of a box so now we had a place for them while at the fair.Since we were driving a station wagon the next challenge was where do we put the camping gear on the way home. Easy task,I told my son the chickens were his if he could pile all the gear on him and his friend in the back seat. Arriving home the chickens had to live in a dog crate until their home was built. Like the comercial goes. budweiser $10, chickens $12,chicken pen and supplies $150, chicken house $400,... I would be much better to plan this out ahead of time but we made do and now have 8 hens.2 Rode Island Reds,Batan Wyandotte, 3 Black and Silver Wyandotte, Black Sex Link, and our newest chick about 2 weeks old is a Black Australop.Lost a few hens and rooster to hawks because we let them free roam in our fenced yard. Have tried may things to stop this but when it happens it is best to just put them in their covered pen for a couple of weeks til the hawks are gone. They hate it but it only happens about 3 times a year. Thanks to the site and members who have helped us lurkers over the last few years. Felt it was time to join and give back a little.

2. rumdom

rumdom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2012
    Iowa
    F/Y/I We didn't drink the beer to get the courage to try having chickens. We bought the chickens because of the buzz and excitement of the moment.lol

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. Fluffballs

Fluffballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    With my chickies!
    Hi and Welcome! Glad you finally joined us![​IMG]

5. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio...glad you joined us. That's a great story =D

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

[​IMG]