1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New from Las Vegas, NV NEED HELP

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SadiJane, May 22, 2016.

1. SadiJane

SadiJane Just Hatched

May 22, 2016
    Hi guys,
    I'm looking for advice on the safest way to make an area habitable again. The house I live in had a pre-existing coop area that was as of late inhabited by pigeons. As I was cleaning it out for my new chicks to live in when they get big enough I realized it was literally full of dead diseased birds and was a huge nasty boneyard. I have cleared all the clutter, raked and shoveled, and now I'm down to the dirt of the coop but I really want to make sure it's safe. Any suggestions on what to do next?

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    From the sound of it, I don't think I would want new birds anywhere near that coop or the ground it stands on. Is it possible to start with a new coop build on a different area of land - as far from the pigeon disaster as possible?

4. Seppy05

Seppy05 New Egg

May 22, 2016
    Ketchikan Alaska
    I have heard that you can clean coops very well with a backpack sprayer and disenfectant.

5. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

6. JDB21

JDB21 Just Hatched

May 16, 2016
    Spry with 50/50 mix of bleach and water soak it well and let it dry for a week or so. Should kill any germs placenta new wood chips or construction grade sand on the floor for new bedding

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by