New from Louisiana

joyeux

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Kentwood, Louisiana
1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I first got into chickens about two and a half years ago. I started with Rhode Island Red, Barred Plymouth Rock, Buff Orpington and Ameraucana pullets. My flock has grown to many different breeds and colors. I now have turkeys, geese, guineas, pigeons, pheasants and quail as well.
Some of the breeds and varieties I have include:
Turkens
Welsummers
Cuckoo Marans
Silkies
Speckled Sussex
Brahmas
Frizzles
Leghorns
New Hampshire Reds
Black and Red Sex Links
Black Jersey Giants
Cochins
Australorps
Faverolles
Cornish
Seramas
and a few mixed breeds
Black, Bourbon Red, Bronze and Narragansett turkeys
Toulouse geese
Ringneck and golden pheasants
Bobwhite quail
and various pigeons and doves
I also have 7 horses, 1 donkey, 2 mules and 1 pony; 7 goats; 1 lamb; 5 India blue peafowl many fish, dogs cats and assorted critters.
I am currently enrolled in a university and live with my older sister, mother and grandfather.
I am currently starting a breeding project with my bantams, but haven't gotten to incubation, just preparation. Though two ringneck doves generously took in one bantam egg and are sitting it.
I am so excited, I'm already addicted to the forum!

Wow! I'm so excited to get to be the first to welcome you!
big_smile.png
Welcome from western Kentucky! My DH is a native of Louisiana.
smile.png

Thank you all for welcoming me!
They do keep me busy, but I enjoy every minute I spend with them. I am constantly amazed at their personalities, curiosity and behavior. I've always lived on a lot of land with lots of animals and I couldn't imagine living any different. My family inspired my love of animals and we're always there to help and encourage each other.
I am fortunate and very thankful to have the time and resources to care for them all.
I forgot to add some of my favorite birds in my previous list; Polish!
And I'm very proud of my seramas. They weren't very easy to get!

I will always be up for sales, meets or swaps in my area. I'm eager to talk with and learn from other poultry keepers

I live about 30 minutes north of Amite or 1 hour east of Baton Rouge. I have traveled for exotic animals though. I've been to Houston for a prairie dog and almost to Tennessee for turkeys and peafowl. I used to drive to Daytona, Fl every year for the National Reptile Breeders Expo.

Back
Top Bottom