1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New From Ohio

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Trillium233, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Trillium233

Trillium233 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    Ohio
    Hello!

I've ended up here so many times after doing internet searches for chicken information that I finally decided to join. [​IMG]

The fam and I started our very first flock of chickens last year. Right now, we've got 21 hens that are about one year old (Barred Rock, Buckeye, Jersey Giant, Speckled Sussex, Rhode Island Red, Welsummer, and Silver-laced Wyandotte), and seven teenagers that are about eight weeks old (Barnvelder, Cuckoo Maran, and more Welsummers). We decided to add a rooster this year (Barnvelder).

[​IMG]

No particular misadventures this past year, though we did get a chuckle out of a couple of the hens once they went broody and puffed themselves up anytime we came near, or when they would wallow around dust bathing.

[​IMG]

We also have twelve guineas (both cocks and hens). They are the "Royal Purple" type and are about a year old as well. -This summer, they started making nests and going broody. We took some eggs from a poorly hidden nest, and they are currently under a broody Jersey Giant hen for safe hatching.

[​IMG]

Let's see, what else? Housing consists of two rectangular sections of our barn (one for guineas, one for chickens). Below you can see the uber-high-tech, fancy, stylin' nest boxes we set up for them:

[​IMG]

The little chick feeders have either grit or oyster shell in them. I do offer grit just to make sure they always have it, but our birds are entirely free-range. We kept them shut in during the absolute worst of last winter, but that's really it. So far, there have been no issues with frostbite.

[​IMG]

There have been eggs a-plenty, and our relatives and neighbors are sick of the sight of them delighted. Actually, it's been great to have them to give to people. It's funny how something like a tasty free-range egg can trigger memories in people. If I give people eggs, they will say things like "Those brown eggs you gave me were great. I used to go to my Grandpa/Grandma/Uncle/Aunt's farm and they remind me of the eggs they always used to have." -Apparently a bit of nostalgia goes great with breakfast, because they'll often ask for more.

So there you go. There's more info on my blog if you like the way I ramble on. Otherwise, I'll see you in the forums! [​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

[​IMG]
    from WA state!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I like the way you ramble on, I'll have to take a look at your blog - BTW colors bring back memories also - your blue nest boxes made me recall the rows of blue porta potties when I used to do charity walks. Your hens seems to like them .

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Trillium233, and [​IMG]! Happy to have you aboard! Great photos and story! Good luck to you and your flock!

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Great intro!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

9. rat1984-2007

rat1984-2007 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2013
    Toronto, ohio
    Where are you at. If you have 5 hens and a rooster that are Rhode Island Red I would like to buy them.

10. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Welcome! Glad you joined BYC! :~D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by