New from Pace in North Florida

barnetmill

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 20, 2013
I live in Northwest Florida. While searching for chickens in my area I stumbled across this forum. I have interests in many things and for now I want to investigate chickens. I have 8 acres next to a creekbed. I am looking first for chickens that can free range and can stand our humid and hot weather. I would like to get just one and see how my white English bulldogs deal with it first. Their job will be to protect the chickens from predators likes foxes, bobcats, coyotes, and many other predators.
I am also looking for local suppliers of chickens. I am also interested in geese and other animals.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! First of all I'd suggest you look at the
Breeds section. You have the option there to narrow down breeds according to your requirements, for example good layers, tough in harsh climates etc. For chickens for sale you can try the Buy ~ Sell ~ Trade section and the Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries section. Your dogs may need to be trained to leave the chickens alone and there are some discussions on the topic here and here. Good luck with your chicken adventures and enjoy the site!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! First of all I'd suggest you look at the
Breeds section. You have the option there to narrow down breeds according to your requirements, for example good layers, tough in harsh climates etc. For chickens for sale you can try the Buy ~ Sell ~ Trade section and the Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries section. Your dogs may need to be trained to leave the chickens alone and there are some discussions on the topic here and here. Good luck with your chicken adventures and enjoy the site!

Thanks sumi. I should have figured it out myself, but I like having things pointed to me since it save me a lot of time. It looks like this forum will give me a lot of useful information.

I strongly favor traditional plants and animals that have proven themselves in the backyards and farm homesteads of americans living in the southeastern united states. I have a lot of fruit trees of mostly unknown origins were discovered growing on homesteads. My dogs are traditional southern farm bulldogs (actually small mastiffs imported here in past centuries) that have almost been replaced by the American Bulldogs that were created by breeders in the 1970's. These WE (White English) dogs are supposed to be tolerant of chickens and I will find out. The younger pup that came to me at 2 months of age has shown no hostility to the cat now at the age of 5 months. The dog shown on my avatar that I got at 5 months has needed scolding and she does still view the cat with more interest than I like. Her father will help his owner catch loose chickens, but when the owner is not looking Chopper likes to grab a chicken and hold it down with his paws, but not bite or injured like it was game and that will not be a good thing if my ginger decides to do the same. So I will read the links that you posted and see what I can discover.
thanks

Back
Top Bottom