New from Powell River!

PRUrbanFarmer

In the Brooder
May 15, 2015
Just a quick hello to everyone. Our family is just starting this new en devour of having chickens. We are starting with sex light sussex, and if everything goes well after the first year are hoping to go up to 24! I am feeling slightly nervous and exciting about everything we are about to learn. Thanks to a great recommendation we also just ordered 'Storey's Guide' from Amazon. So hopefully between that and everyone here all will go great!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. Light Sussex are a wonderful breed. They are cold hardy, friendly and gentle (my children made lap pets of them), and good layers of large, brown eggs. In addition, if you breed your LS hens with Rhode Island Red roosters, you will get Red Sex Link chicks that can be sexed by color from hatching (males are whitish, females are reddish), and which are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your Light Sussex.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Light sussex chickens are great! Very friendly and curious and lay lots of eggs. It's very normal to feel nervous about raising chickens. I was too. I'm sure we all were. I've read that Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens too. It's a great book full of info. Our learning center is full of info too https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. We are happy to help. Good luck with your flock.

Glad you joined the BYC flock. Have you visited the Learning Center, it is a great place to start a chicken education. You might also peruse "Raising Backyard chickens," forum

Back
Top Bottom