New from SC

kdbwood

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 11, 2014
Hi everyone. I have been free ranging my 4 chickens for almost 1 yr. i have a problem with my rooster that I hope someone can help me with. He is disoriented & looking up to the sky and can't enter the coop. I have to place him inside for night safety. He is fine during the day. What's up with this guy?

Hi everyone. I have been free ranging my 4 chickens for almost 1 yr. i have a problem with my rooster that I hope someone can help me with. He is disoriented & looking up to the sky and can't enter the coop. I have to place him inside for night safety. He is fine during the day. What's up with this guy?
How long has he been exhibiting this behavior, and what has changed in his life lately?
He could have eaten something strange, contracted an infection, sustained an injury, and/or developed a neurological disorder. If he doesn't improve very soon, you might quarantine him and seek a vet's care.

images

Hooligans X2 It sounds like it could be something called "Star Gazing". A neurological disorder that can be caused by virus's, bacteria, yeast infections, and even vitamin deficiencies. Here is a good thread on Star Gazing and what you can do to help him, should he have this condition....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/162109/star-gazing-chicks-or-chickens

Even if he does not have this condition, he will no doubt GREATLY improve with vitamins and minerals added to his diet.

You can also post this question in the emergency section here on BYC for more help...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck with your rooster. I hope you can get this solved soon.
hugs.gif

This is the 2nd time he has behaved in this manner. The 1st was about a month ago. I did nothing but observe him before. This time he is a bit more exaggerated in that he won't enter the coop. This only happens at dusk. But I have noticed he won't jump up in places he used to. If the hens go up on my deck, he watches them from the ground. He is large, double the hen's size. Seems to be eating well & foraging as usual. I don't use pesticides. But I suppose there could be a plant problem. He does have a hammer toe. So I wondered if this is a genetic or early nutrition thing. Otherwise he is a sweet, non aggressive but protective rooster.

Yogurt has B12 in it. So yogurt is today's treat. TBA. Thanks everyone for your help.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! How do the chickens get into your coop? So he walks/runs around normally otherwise during the day, just no jumping? Have you checked his legs/ feet for problems besides the one toe? How do his eyes look? Is there light in the coop?

They have a wooden ramp with ridges on it for coop entry. It is an elevated coop that is predator proof (so far). Everyone had a warm happy day, almost 90 F today. Tonight he hopped up on roost bar inside of coop. I didn't see it. He was up there and clucking his gutteral happy sounds when I locked them up. Oh and his feet look fine. This has me stumped. But I am happy to see him acting more normal.

Ah, will check his eyes, thanks. He is a bit clumsy at times. I just thought it was his large size and crazy toe.

Back
Top Bottom