New from SLC Utah

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by billygoat162, Apr 20, 2016.

1. billygoat162

billygoat162 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2016
    American Southwest
    Hi everyone, I'm new here and got back into raising chickens about a year ago. I've done it twice before when I lived in California, but this is my first time raising chickens in a city and somewhere that gets snow, so it's been a much more involved process with lots of learning opportunities. There have been several issues I've had to work around including noise, mites, frostbite, and broodiness, and I'm really liking the challenge. It's also given me the opportunity to put my engineering skills to some use [​IMG].

I have 4 hens (3 buff orpingtons and 1 mystery), two welsummer pullets and one RIR pullet. I just worked out an automated door design and now am tackling the broodiness of one of the buff's and deciding which direction to go in...I've never let a hen raise chicks before, but I don't really need more chickens either [​IMG]. I'm glad I discovered this forum and look forward to contributing!

2. billygoat162

billygoat162 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2016
    American Southwest
    Part of the flock:
    [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Buff orpingtons tend to go broody. You can post photos of your "mystery" hen at "what breed or gender is this." [​IMG]

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great to have you onboard with us.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre (even you are an experienced hand) https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box as there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

All the best
    CT

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by