New from Southern IL

Deerhaven

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
Pittsburg, IL
I joined BYC a couple of weeks ago but have not formally introduced myself. My husband, my teenage daughter and I are new to raising chickens! There, I said it. We've always been curious about it, and have lived in a country setting for the past 8 years or so. Recently a friend told my husband he would put fertile eggs in his incubator for us and we jumped on the offer. Our baby chicks will be Buff Orpingtons and Rhode Island Reds. The hubs converted our existing goat barn (which is now goat-less) into a chicken coop, and built an outside run that is 12 x 16 with a supported wire roof overhead. Two new gates and a little chicken door were installed. After all that was done, hubby got in a hurry and took the fam to look at some chickens for sale in our area. We came home with two laying hens and two pullets for a small mixed flock. We now have a Black Star layer, a Barred Rock layer, a Light Brahma pullet and an Auracana pullet. These four girls seem to get along fine and the layers are a-laying. We are supposed to get our little babies Tuesday night! We are open to advice, suggestions, and criticism. And encouragement! We hope to post a few pics soon and we want to learn all your stories!
Thanks for listening... err, reading! ~~ Sheryl at Deer Haven

welcome-byc.gif
Visit the Learning Center and then veer off to forums that interest you

Thanks! I'm still working my way through The Learning Center. Could have finished by now, but then I get distracted by the pictures and questions of other members! Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom