New From Texas

Fire Rescue1401

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 10, 2011
Liberty Hill, TX
Ok so i am new to the forum and new to having chickens. i am wanting to have chickens only for the eggs not wanting to breed. now i'm not new to forums so i will be doing a lot of searching but if some of yall could chime in with a few answers.

1. best egg laying chicken (best eggs to eat, biggest, most eggs laid in a year)
2. what to feed both as chick and full grown (i will have them penned most of the time letting the roam every once in a while)
3. do i need to put a top on the fence it will be around 4' tall and will be about 15' x 10' in size
4. i have a 5'x8' shed that is 5' tall how many chickens is a good number to have for that size coop and fenced in area.
5. do i need to have a lot of shade for them? (its hot as HECK down here)
6. anything else you think i need to know.

Thanks,
Eric S.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC.
1. Black Sex Links (Black Stars)
2. Starter/grower feed for chicks. At 18-20 weeks or until first egg is laid, switch to layer feed.
3. Yes
4. 5
5. Yes
6. Read and plan everything in advance before getting your chicks/chickens, practice biosecurity.

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Louisiana!

Thanks for the welcomes and the info... what makes the black sex links the best... not questioning just wanting to understand. i was thinking about leghorns to begin with but if the sex link is better then thats what i will go with. also should i buy a few grown ones and a few chicks so that i can start getting eggs now.. or should i buy all chicks and wait till they start laying?

Thanks,
Eric

was looking on Ideal's website and they have more than one kind on black sex links. they have black sex link st run, black sex link pullet, which one do i need? also they offer a few extras

Mareks Disease Vaccination
Debeak
Dub (clipping comb)
Dewing

do i need any of these? sorry to be so ignorant

Thanks,
Eric

Back
Top Bottom