New from The UK

pepparaaraa

Chirping
May 4, 2015
London, UK
Hello from London, England!
I'm brand new to chick raising and chicken keeping. We were planning on getting some chickens when we move at the end of the month but enquires about some chicks they hatched at my sons nursery and got a call last Thursday to collect them on Friday! Very last minute so I've been worried as haven't had all the right stuff. But a week later they are doing well.
So we just have 2 at the moment, they were a week old so now 2 wks. They are apparently a male and female, wasn't told what breed and so I tried to look it up and the fact they appear to be sex linked seems to point towards red stars which aren't a breed at all apparently. Anyway they are very cute, messy and nosey, and the kids love them! We do too.
I can't wait to see how they grow, how we cope as well (especially with a rooster) as would ideally like to get more if this is successful.
Can't wait to start reading and getting clued up!
1f423.png
1f425.png

Welcome to Backyard chickens, Red sex links are high production egg layers- but a mixed breed. If you breed them they will not produce more of the same. The progeny will not have the genes for great egg production. If you decide on a rooster - you need 10 or so hens to keep him occupied so he doesn't overbreed the same birds and damage them.

Oh wow didn't know that about the rooster!! I don't plan on breeding them, just there were mostly boys so I was only getting 1 hen and didn't want her to be lonely.
When you say damage them, is that just from mating? Starting to worry now as only wanted a couple more.
Also can I get a different breed to go with these two?
Thanks for any input
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom